STARTING AN AFRICAN CICHLID TANK ADVICE NEEDED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool XP4 are sweet i have 2 XP3 on my 120gal one is chemical and the other biological i bought those lee's pin size bio balls they work fine and are a little cheaper in all, i use albino chinese algae eaters for bottom control and synodontis they fit the bill with the aggression the cichlids will belt out.. later buddy..

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
thanks Pittbull, i see a lot of choices for bio-media out there and with 4 baskets it will hold a lot of it. do you use the jet nozzle or the spray bar for you outflow into the tank ? I also see that rena gives you choices for outflow depths for the outflow tube. on top, under a little and under a lot i think 2 inches then 4 inches and i think the longer one is 6 or 8 inches down. do these africans like slow water or faster water ?
Bert

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
my XP3 are setup with the jet spray i don't utilize the spray bar cichlids will be fine with a somewhat type strong filtration just as long as you don't create a jacuzzi i have my intake tubes to go almost down to the substrate as well yep there are several ways to setup those baskets the theories are endless aye, good luck buddy.

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
OK, I have my tank up and running for 1 month now and have 8 Africans and 6 sedontis catfish ( i think thats how you say their name ) I have about 130 LBS of the #20 mesh pool filter sand and my rockscape is exactly how I wanted it with holes and caves and nice cavework under the rocks. let me know what you think of my African Cichlid tank setup.

P1100004.JPG P1100007.JPG P1100008.JPG P1100011.JPG P1100015.JPG P1100021.JPG P1100037.JPG P1100040.JPG P1100043.JPG P1100046.JPG

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I like the rock work on the left buddy good job i would have done two rock piles one on the left like the one you have and a smaller rock pile on the right and left the middle open but hey this is your tank have fun with it man looks pretty cool..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If your tank is a 100gal, I think you should add more African cichlids in it. IMO, it would be better to add larger groups of fewer species; it is more interesting and pleasant to observe.

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Thanks and I agree. as soon as it cycles completly I want to add a single species so they will group up. I like that too. The 8 that I have in there are my cycling fish and my next fish group will be added as soon as i find the best looking group.

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Thanks !!! I got the helpful info. i needed from you guys here when i was searching for an idea for my tank and i really appreciate all of your help and input. I rescaped that tank so many times in the 20 years that i have had it that, this time when i moved to our new home, I had just run out of new ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store