STARTING AN AFRICAN CICHLID TANK ADVICE NEEDED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Funny how that works aye me as well there only so many ways to do something til you exhaust all ideals just keep on doing what makes you happy my friend and all will be good..

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I never cease to amaze myself with the combinations i have come up with over the years with that tank. This time it will stay as is.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
If this is your first time using sand, you have to remember to stir it on occasion. Trapped gases can become lethal to the fish, and will develop ugly black spots. I stir with a wooden spoon (I'm short) and use my python to suck up the ick. Takes a little practice, but it's not very difficult.

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I know Pittbull, I have said that about a million times and this could be a million 1. Thanks, i heard about the sand issue and appreciate the reminder, i have a few things i can zig zag through the sand and a kind of plastic pasta forked ladel. I did 1 water change so far and used my python to move the sand around and even use my hand or a cup to pick it up and turn it over. You can really see the stuff that needs to be taken out right on top of the sand and it is so much easier and cleaner than gravel used to be.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Great looking tank ! - both ways, although I am biased towards the AC's :D

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I have had the tank up & running now for almost a year & a half. All is great and the Africans have been very healthy & happy and I started with 16 and giving away 6 BIG ones to make room for all of the babies i have had from the most colorful of the group. I now have 40 very colorful medium size fish that are as big as they will get and they all get along with each other, no fights or bullying. I have changed the aquascaping around a little and with each water change, i get my hand down deep in the sand and turn it over to bring the bottom layer to the top. I need to take some updated pictures to show what it looks like today.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hey bert, welcome back! It's great to know the tank is running so well. I can't wait to see those pics!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store