Starting shell dweller tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
I started planning the stand for this tank and I had an Idea. I could use the opinion of someone who has kept shellies. It appears a-lot of the action happens around the substrate. I thought it would be cool to build the stand a little lower than normal to change the line of site into the tank so that you are looking slightly down at it hopefully creating a better view of the substrate level from front to back. I'm thinking of making the stand 24 - 30 inches high rather than the normal height of 33 - 36 inches. What do you think? Sorry for the double post.
A question on forum procedures: Should I start a new thread for building the stand and setting up the tank?

Last edited:

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
With a 33 L, I'd build a taller stand but it really comes down to what you like. Same with whether or not you start another thread. :)

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Na you do not have to create a new post as long as you are still talking about the same subject so you are all good.. I have always liked the taller stands but that is just me but my friend has a 33gal long on a short boy metal stand and it looks great so i am sure it will look good..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Update: Priced out materials on a DIY stand to match our furniture (oak). It was going to be very expensive. We decided to go with a very simple metal stand. I also placed an order for the essentials: 2 Aquaclear 30 HOB filters, one 150 watt heater, an Aqueon modular LED 48" light, and some black sand substrate. I'm waiting for shipping. I should have the tank up and cycling within a couple weeks. I'll post some pics then.

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Update: All items arrived today. The tank is on the stand and full of boxes from amazon. I have to say this is the biggest nano tank I have ever seen. I know it is an oxymoron, but this is a great big tank for displaying little fish. I should have substrate and water in the tank by the weekend next weekend at the latest. The Aqueon light is bright and low profile. I love the way this is shaping up.

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
There isn't much to look at. I still need to rinse about a ton of sand and find a couple cool rocks for the aquascape. More pics to follow with progress. Here is what I have so far.

IMG_0823.JPG

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Sorry for the double post. I was out looking at rocks today and saw some cool cat's paw and branch corals. Barnacle clusters were also pretty cool. Has anyone ever used them? How did it work out?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If it is a Tang or Malawi setup you should be fine just make sure you clean it real good..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store