Starting shell dweller tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I might give it a shot. The corals have a small footprint and then branch out higher up. I think they can add some visual appeal without interfering with the shells. I'll have some rinsing and washing to do. More interesting pics to come in a few days.

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
A little more progress. Sand and water are in. I'm going to use some filter media and a couple platties from another tank to get things going. Still waiting for shells to arrive. Still undecided on decorations but leaning towards some nice pieces of coral.

IMG_0833.JPG

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Love the sand too. What brand is it? Where did you get it?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies. The sand is a 50/50 mix of Caribsea sahara sand african cichlid mix, and Petco black sand. The Caribsea sand had a little too much white in it for me. I'm glad you like the way it turned out. I decided on some reef base rock (not live, don't worry it is long dead) for the scape. I tied some Anubias to a few pieces on one end of the tank. The battery is charging for the camera. Pictures will follow. By the way no shells yet.

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Just a quick update: Here are a couple pics of the rock on either end of the tank. Try to imagine a big shell bed around the single rock on the left side of the tank. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks Pearl. This has been a fun project so far. The Platties are doing fine after two days. With the filter media from an established tank in one of the filters, I'm reading zero ammonia and everyone looks stress free. I'm going to let it run for a while, as is, to make sure everything is stable. I probably won't add the multies for several weeks. I had originally planned on returning the platties to the other tank to make room for a large colony of multies. I'm beginning to like the Platties on this tank. I think I'm going to try leaving them with hopes they will be safe in the rocky area if I leave about six inches of open ground between the rocks and the shells. Making this a hard water community of some sort. At this time the plan is to start the multie colony with about 6 juveniles. If you have been following this thread you know my plans tend to change as I go. Only time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store