-stock for my 55g-

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mbhw

AC Members
Sep 27, 2004
New York
The only issue with your stock list is make sure the socolofi are 1m 3f ratios, regardless of regular/albino. In a 55, there is a good chance the red zebra when full grown will kick everyones butt pretty severely, but if you add them all young, you stand a slim chance of that not happening assuming you get your male/female ratios correct.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
The only issue with your stock list is make sure the socolofi are 1m 3f ratios, regardless of regular/albino. In a 55, there is a good chance the red zebra when full grown will kick everyones butt pretty severely, but if you add them all young, you stand a slim chance of that not happening assuming you get your male/female ratios correct.
i agree

when red zebras get big they are physcho i had 2 males in a 125 with 2 obvious females and were crazy.

also i had a tank full of zebras 3 males and 5 females only one fully grown in a 65 with 2 male 7 female lombardi and one day the zebras killed everything but themselves. the day after they started killing each other leaving 3 males 1 female zebra the third day i'd given up couldnt care less. then the female at 10cm killed my favourite male at 18cm over night. zebras are the most agrressive unpredictable fish in african cichlds except maybe demonsai. I lost about $150-200 of fish in 3 days.

Last edited:

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
awe! that sucks! so would i be able to keep them with an oscar? or is that just pushing it? hahaha. or maybe the turtle?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...when red zebras get big they are physcho i had 2 males in a 125 with 2 obvious females and were crazy.

also i had a tank full of zebras 3 males and 5 females only one fully grown in a 65 with 2 male 7 female lombardi and one day the zebras killed everything but themselves. the day after they started killing each other leaving 3 males 1 female zebra the third day i'd given up couldnt care less. then the female at 10cm killed my favourite male at 18cm over night. zebras are the most agrressive unpredictable fish in african cichlds except maybe demonsai. I lost about $150-200 of fish in 3 days.
With red zebras it all depends. Getting them young and keeping them in ideal gender ratio's (minimum 2-3 females per male, or 4 females for a single male)and perhaps having groups of other non-metriclima genus mbuna's in thte tank should help keep them in line (or at least occupied). When assured that they are the alpha fish, dominant males can be pretty laid back. With that said, specific challenges to their authority or breeding rights will probably be dealt with brutally. It should be expected that males will aspire to be tank dominants. Whether they succeed or not depends on specific tank dynamics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store