-stock for my 55g-

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
red zebras are still vegans though right?

johnp2152

DANKTANKS
Dec 2, 2007
SO CAL
Make sure u have a bunch of caves and everytime you do a water change switch up the caves so they dont get so territorial that they start killing eachother off.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
ok, but like other mbunas red zebras survive off of vegies?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
ok, but like other mbunas red zebras survive off of vegies?
Yes, red zebras are primarily herbivorous.

Make sure u have a bunch of caves and everytime you do a water change switch up the caves so they dont get so territorial that they start killing eachother off.
I would actually advise against this. Sometimes localized territoriality isn't a bad thing. Regularly rearranging everything gives your red zebra (or any other mbuna) opportunities to overstep it's bounds and disrupt any balance in your tank (you're basically re-setting established limits). For example it might be satisfied with just the cave. After a rearrangement it might aspire to claim the a different cave and a larger portion of the tank and react aggressively to trespassers, or a rival which was previousy set up at the opposite side of the tank now decides to establish a territory bordering that of the dominant, creating problems which didn't exist before.

Tank rearrangement is typically a method used in conjuction with the addition of new fish to the tank, but regular rearrangement adds/increases unpredictability in the tank and can result in dire consequences. The 6" red zebra male which rules my 125gal pretty much stays in or immediately around his cave (which no other male of similar size is allowed near). He may shoo away pesky juvies, but that's it, he's content with his territory and doesn't appear motivated to gain more real estate). If I removed his cave, he'd have to establish elsewhere (which would mean evicting another fish from its territory..which would require aggression).

I previously had a socolofi set up a small territory in the rear right corner of the tank. One rearrangement later and he claimed one-fourth of the right-portion of the 125gal tank as its exclusive territory and became a real meanie (primarily because the mbuna which had earlier "kept him in check" by having its territory adjacent to this fish settled in a different area of the tank after the rearrangement).

But with these fish anything can happen and what doesn't work in one tank set up may work all the time in another.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
With red zebras it all depends. Getting them young and keeping them in ideal gender ratio's (minimum 2-3 females per male, or 4 females for a single male)and perhaps having groups of other non-metriclima genus mbuna's in thte tank should help keep them in line (or at least occupied). When assured that they are the alpha fish, dominant males can be pretty laid back. With that said, specific challenges to their authority or breeding rights will probably be dealt with brutally. It should be expected that males will aspire to be tank dominants. Whether they suceed or not depends on specific tank dynamics.
yea true ,
but im thinking why my female killed and how she killed my big male,
he wasnt weak, he was tough he didnt take crap from anyone.

i should put the female and 2 males i have in 3ft
into my friends fully grown oscar tank with 2 big oscars
hell funny if i went there and the oscars are dead and me like :confused:

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
yea true ,
but im thinking why my female killed and how she killed my big male,
he wasnt weak, he was tough he didnt take crap from anyone.

i should put the female and 2 males i have in 3ft
into my friends fully grown oscar tank with 2 big oscars
hell funny if i went there and the oscars are dead and me like :confused:
well if you ever do happen to try that, make sure to post what happened! hehehe.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
darn. angels are so beautiful too! and for sure i can't keep an angel with a JD in a 29g right?
Swap your JD for an Angel. :) An angel can live indefinitely in a 29g........a JD cannot.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
indefinitely??? i thought Angels got much too big for a 29g?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store