Stocking list for my 55 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Bangaiis are very cool but very sensitive. I imagine Tank bred ones are hardier but their price reflects that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Tank-bred is a rather good idea either way with them.

Not sure if it is still happening, but there was a disease going through their population a while ago. While it could hit the tank-bred population, it was VERY common in the wild-caught population.

I know the two I had were most likely wild-caught and they hit the same pattern. Healthy and great, then suddenly a hunger strike and dead.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Tank-bred is a rather good idea either way with them.

Not sure if it is still happening, but there was a disease going through their population a while ago. While it could hit the tank-bred population, it was VERY common in the wild-caught population.

I know the two I had were most likely wild-caught and they hit the same pattern. Healthy and great, then suddenly a hunger strike and dead.
All good points, same thing that happened with mine.

If your sure this won't become a reef tank, they're plenty of cool hardy non reef safe fish you could get. Wrasses etc

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Ok.... Well here is an update.... I ordered 40 lbs of dry rock from BRS, and have now aquascaped the tank.... The cycle has already started because I had placed a few shrimp in the tank to decompose for a couple weeks before I had the rock... pH is 8.2, specific gravity is 1.024, My ammonia level is..1.0 ppm, but no nitrites have shown up yet... Still planning on getting another 20- 25 lbs of live rock. Haven't really found where Im going to order it from though. Any suggestions? What do you guys think of my 'scape job? The rock is sitting on the glass, it isn't glued together or anything. So i could move it around... There is room for the fishes to swim behind the scape( should I move it back against the glass?).

uploadfromtaptalk1338002533545.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1338002578803.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1338002672664.jpg

Last edited:

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Also.... Stocking list... Still not sure if CUC yet? Probably just get one OD the pre-packaged deals from live aquaria and some cleaner shrimps(2) and thinking about porcelain blue crab or two... As far as fish go....
Occelaris clowns x 2
Goby pistol shrimp combo
Flame angel
And id like to try to get a shoal of firefish or something maybe 4-5( anyone.have experience?)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Looking good. Get a cover if you want firefish I lost a couple to suicide. If you still haven't had any trites or trates show up yet I wouldn't start adding a CUC yet. Your stocking plan sounds good though. Picking up a CUC at a LFS would probably be cheaper then live aquaria($35 shipping kills it) unless your doing the build your own $60 free shipping one but they always seem to be out of stock on half those items. Maybe check out reefs2go.com they have some free shipping CUC's recently made a couple orders with them been pleased so far.

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into reefs2go... As for the firefish... I actually have glass tops for the tank will those be ok? Thought that they wouldn't be... Originally bought them thinking salt water fish tend to be great carpet surfers... But.have read that they can mess up the pH in tank..

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Gas exchange is very important at dark hours. The more fish you add, the bigger the problem and I wouldn't suggest any fish larger than 3" regardless of the number. Especially important in sumpless and skimmerless systems. Make a mesh top(s) and you won't need to worry.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Lots of threads out there on mesh tops but all you need is a window screen frame/kit and some 1/4" plastic mesh. If you can't find the mesh locally, www.bulkreefsupply.com sells it.

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Yeah!!! Finally picked up some live rock!!! I only got 2 pieces so far, will probably be getting some more from a friend in a couple months.
So, here is my question... I got some hitchhikers! One is clearly a bubble tip anenome and the other is what the guy it the LFS called a green star polyp coral... Currently they are both "sucked up in themselves" (idk the proper term) so the pics aren't very good... I have situated the coral so that it would be able to get the most out of the t5 Ho lighting that it can, do you guys think they will survive? I didn't pay extra for them so, if they don't make it I won't be to upset. I wasn't really planning on doing coals so I really haven't done any research on them and don't even know what kind this is. Basicly the same for the anenome. I just the the rock in the tank, and haven't checked the parameters yet. I will post those later. Sorry for the poor picture quality. :( camera phone...

uploadfromtaptalk1338501834218.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1338501904952.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1338501959748.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store