Suggest an RO/DI

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
If you have a 100 GPD unit and run on well water (like I do), you're probably only going to get like 50 GPD.

Now, you want to make 5 gallons of water in a pinch, and it's going to take FOREVER, or approx. 2 gallons an hour. Or, 2.5 hrs for a 5 gallon bucket.

And that's after it's broken in and a few hundred gallons have gone through the unit. Mine still takes ~ 3.5 hrs to make 5 gallons.

Take a 50 GPD unit and it'd take 10 hours to make a bucket of water.

Might not seem like much time right now, but sometimes when you need water...you NEED water.

:)

Plus I think the smaller units cost about the same.

I bought mine from filters direct on eBay for $99 and it makes 0 TDS every time. ;)

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I"m slightly confused. How does the GPD amount matter?
Well the GPD isn't the end of the world. It's just that if its rated for 50 GPD it will make a max of 2 gal an hour. The new unit I have is 75GPD, which is nice as it makes water quickly. I'm just impatient and don't like waiting around for it.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
I do water changes via a 32g garbage can in the living room. I move the makeup line to the garbage can and it takes 8hrs to fill to 30g. Then I add X cups salt mix . Then over the next day I keep adding to get the SG correct. Once it's happy I agitate for 48hrs to get the dissolved gases correct. The 90gpd is a really nice improvement. Like one of those things you keep wondering, "How did I survive with only 25gpd??"

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
I see what you all mean. What about making a small amount of water each day, saving up to make a water change each week?

Also, what do I do when I add salt to mix? How long should I run the powerhead in the bucket? Or how do I get it done.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
That sounds good then. I will just buy a small heater and pump to keep in the bucket then.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I use a 75 watt heater and a MagDrive 3 pump with hose attached to mix up the salt. Once it's dissolved and up to temp I use the MagDrive to pump the water into the tank. When I do water changes I normally change around 30 gals once every month or two.

Although if you were doing a small water change of 5 gal or so then a cheap heater and pump would probably work just as well.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Can I attach my current DI to an RO Unit? So I don't have to go through the trouble in buying one already built in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store