Suggest an RO/DI

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
You asked if you could attach a DI component to current RO unit. But you don't have an RO unit. You've got a tap water filter.

Another thing that doesn't get much mention, is that a 50 or 75 gpd unit has a higher rejection rate than a 100 gpd or higher unit. A higher rejection rate yields higher quality water. If you're not going to drink the RO/DI water, and use it only for water changes and topoffs, with planning a 50 gpd RO/DI unit will meet your needs.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
I know my Tap Water filter isn't an RO, which is why I need to get something better. I was asking if I could buy an RO unit, and perhaps attach the Tap water filter to it. I am planning on a 50 gpd unit.

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
I was asking if I could buy an RO unit, and perhaps attach the Tap water filter to it.
I asked a similar question before I started researching RO/DI systems. I think when you read a bit about RO/DI systems, you'll see that they're so efficient, there's no real need to attach anything else to them.

Put differently, buying an RO/DI system, then attaching a tap water filter to it is like buying a Ferrari and pushing it around with a Geo Metro. :)

Once you purchase your RO/DI, you won't have the need for anything else.

Icom

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Iowa
I just picked up a Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Unit 50 gpd 4 stage..
I needed something for the "liquid rock" here.It's bigger than I needed,but got a decent deal on it,so I grabbed it.I just turn on the water supply the night before tank maintenence;and it fills up a 26g can with a heater in it by the time I'm ready to do water changes the next morning/day on my 55g,37g and 10g tanks.I'm sleeping anyway,so what do I care if it takes awhile to fill up:grinyes: Fill the can up again when I'm done..so its on about a day or so during the week. the can is full,heated and waiting if needed.

I just need to figure out the ratio of RO water to tap water to keep the PH where I need it . PH is 8.6+ out of the tap,very hard water here,the RO unit takes it to 6.2 and takes the rest of the junk out too.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
I just bought a RO/DI from The Filter Guys.
$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm
I choose this one cause of the daul TDS and membrane flush was included. With S/H was just over $200. I also use the waste water to fill my fresh water tank, after treated with a 3in1 water conditioner. Just like nycsicktank said. Not realy sure I need the DI part though as I have 0 TDS coming out of the RO going to the DI. Guess it still can't hurt to have it though.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
I was considering buying a Pinnacle RO system and getting an DI attachment.

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
If using RO wastewater in a freshwater tank, you don't need to add dechlorinator to the water, right? It should already have been filtered out by the previous stages?

clckwrm

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
South Carolina
I just bought a Kent Marine Maxxima 24GPD for 47g system. After thinking a few emergency top-offs with tap water couldn't hurt much, I now have a slight hair algae problem. Even though my test kit reads 0. I do know that my Urchin skimmer is kicking fin and taking names. And my tank's biggest inhabitants are 4 small hermits, 4 snails, and 2 good-sized brittle stars. I don't feed the system at all either.

I heard that lower filters with lower GPD generally work better than higher GPD ones. don't know if that's true in all cases.

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
I heard that lower filters with lower GPD generally work better than higher GPD ones. don't know if that's true in all cases.
Yes. By design the lower gpd units have a higher rejection rate. That means "purer" water. Not to say that higher gpd units produce inferior water, they don't.

I opted for a 75 gpd unit. It's producing its first water as we speak. It's been flowing (trickling) into a 5 gal bucket now for about 10 min's and there's a couple of inches of water. I hear the waste water ripping down the drain, though.

ReefSparky

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
BTW I should mention, I bought a Typhoon from "H2OGuru" on eBay, it's a 75 gpd unit. I ordered it Saturday, and it came UPS today, Tuesday. It's very impressive by appearance. I've read quite a bit and have seen a bit on John Guest fittings, the type employed by this manufacturer; and they're even more impressive in person. To think that only about 10 years ago you had to use a compression fitting which was a one-shot deal, deforming the copper in the process--now a John Guest fitting allows you to stick the water line in, and you're done. All this in a reusable unit. You can pull it out if you like, then put it right back in and zero leaks.

As far as the RO/DI unit goes.. . it came with an asov, and a float valve, delivered, UPS for a little over $190. $169 plus $25 shipping. Although I don't have a TDS meter, the output is impressively clear, tasteless and completely odorless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store