Sun Brite LED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
While yes, his PAR readings are rather low, he spent his money where he shouldn't

1. Crees are expensive for what you get.
2. Luxeon Rebels would be a better choice, and you can get triple the output at least for about 2x the price.
3. Not enough LEDs. Come on, 48? thats it? on a 75g SW, without optics?
4. Needs optics and a 3rd section, PAR would really shoot up then.
5. That price is skewed, you can find/build your own constant current circuits for about a 10'th of the price of buckpucks

But I can honestly see why people do use LEDs. If you have a lick of DIY talent, its not too darned difficult to build a decent setup. Plus LEDs have a place even more so in the Nano/Pico side of Reef keeping. Not to mention, MHs have slight issues with heat and everything, not to mention bulb life, energy consumption ect.

Please do keep in mind I'm not saying LEDs are the end all solution that some claim, I do prefer them over T5s and by far above MH. Plus I've seen corals do some crazy things under blue LEDs.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Plus LEDs have a place even more so in the Nano/Pico side of Reef keeping.
This is exactly my thoughts on LEDs at the moment. For the 30G and under crowd they are great lighting to play around with and you can get good results in smaller tanks with them. In larger setups... ehhh.. just not quite what I would like to see yet in terms of over all lighting, key word being "yet" because one day some form of LED lighting will finally replace bulbs and tubes IMO. May even be OLED or some other type of paper thin lighting you just glue to a flat surface above your tank and you can replicate anything... one day. ;)

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
So, Ace & everyone, what is your opinion on the Maxspect LED fixtures? I found a very interesting thread over on RC about them and the price is certainly right. I'm coming back to the hobby after taking a break to have my baby girl and I'm starting up a new tank from scratch! It's a 58g Oceanic. I'm seriously considering picking up one of the G2 Maxspect fixtures in the new 35" size. Probably going to go with the G2-230, but if you guys were of the opinion that the G2-170 would be enough for my tank (plan to have softies & a few LPS - mainly just a Duncan), then I might go with the G2-170.

Thanks!
Annette

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store