Surge protector: Not for use with aquariums...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Sounds about right. Would be pretty funny though, if it meant it absolutely will not accept aquarium equipment plugged into it. "Is that a Whisper plugged into me? That's it, I'm going Jebo on you!". Still, something like "Keep dry" or "Keep away from water" seems like a better line to put on it.

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
Though I am curious, why was there a warning - simply because there's a potential for water to reach the surge protector?
It's because the UL listing for the device requires them to put that statement in the instructions.

Now it could be (and probably is) the case that the device is perfectly capable of meeting UL requirements for use around aquariums, but it hasn't been tested for those requirements.

Just make sure it stays dry and you should be OK.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It's my money I spend not theirs. If I want a surge protector to give me extra outlets, I will use one (which I do). Common sense dictates water and electricity don't mix but there is always that one moron that will test the physics and then try to sue when it blows up in their face.

If it states "not for aquarium use", oh well. I'm still going to use it.

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
They have a similar warning for pools as well, just use common sense:

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I know this thread is super old, but the new surge protector I Just bought tonight at Ace Hardware says the same thing on it. I am betting all my others did too at one point, but I never bothered to read them, and haven't had any issues, so hopefully this one will be fine too. I did wonder though, I saw a post recently on here about a powerstrip specifically made for aquarium use that caught fire and really destroyed a home with all the damage (I want to say it was a Coralife?). So perhaps the ones specifically made for aquariums aren't any better in that aspect? I assume any will short out if they get wet - no matter if they are made for aquariums or not.

Also - I'm debating putting GFCI outlets in all locations where I have aquariums plugged in. Any idea if that is overkill or a good idea?

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I use a high quality surge protecter for all of my aquariums. It has one of those breakers that will flip off in the case of a sudden loss of return current (i.e. someone getting electrocuted).

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I think it is called a Ground Fault Curcuit Breaker or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store