Surge protector: Not for use with aquariums...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I buy the cheapest power strips I can find which come in packs of 2 for $3.99 at Walmart. About the only thing that would be a power hog on an aquarium setup would be special reef lighting, but for me Im satisfies with using only 0.25 watts per gallon. The biggest hog on my 244 tank is my 300 watt heater which in AZ hardly get used (today's temp 85F). So in total Im using about 550 Watts max when the lights and heater are on momentarily each day and only 150 24/7. Compared to a PC that's peanuts and doesn't require many J.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I know this thread is super old,<snip>

Also - I'm debating putting GFCI outlets in all locations where I have aquariums plugged in. Any idea if that is overkill or a good idea?
No, it is a GREAT idea.

I've tripped GFCIs...I overfilled a tank, water got into the outlet strip and immediately tripped the GFCI...no harm no foul.
Another time I had an electric drill fall into a bucket of water...same thing (and the drill lived)

IMHO the best/cheapest thing is to replace the outlet with a GFCI for $10, even if you are in a rental (with permission of course)

Plugin GFCIs are also available , mostly online.

A Surge protector strip is really not necessary unless you are running electronics on your tank. I'd rather have a GFCI with a plain jane cheap outlet strip...

FWIW, all my tanks in the basement are GFCI'd...I do have a 40 and a 10 on the ground floor that will be GFCI'd soon.

Last edited:

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
We own the house, so no biggie on putting the GFCI's in. :) In fact we had to change out 3 of them when we first bought the house because they were not faulting out properly. Putting in a few more shouldn't be a problem. Just need to get the outlets (maybe this weekend) and get them in. Only one that will be an issue is the one behind the 46 gal since it means I will have to partially emtpy the tank and move it away from the wall to get to the outlet. Maybe I'll just buy a plug-in GFCI for that one... hmmm..

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You only need one functioning GFCI outlet per circuit. Anything over that is a waste of money and is no more safe.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I guess the GFCI would take care of this problem anyway, but I've heard that part of the danger with surge protectors/power strips that sit on the ground, or cords from the tank that plug directly into the wall, is that water can drip down the cords and reach the outlet, or surge protector, or power strip. You're supposed to make sure that the cords loop back up at some point, to avoid this. I put a nail in the wall, next to the tank, about half way up, and hang my power strip on it.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
You only need one functioning GFCI outlet per circuit. Anything over that is a waste of money and is no more safe.

To clarify...the outlets "downstream" of the GFCI need to be reconnected to the protected output side of the GFCI. Otherwise you have ONE protected duplex outlet. (if the GFCI is used to just replace an exisiting outlet)

masterchef518

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
ok here is a little tip im in the handyman buisness so i know a little bit about electricle (spelling) so when using a GFCI you would only want to use one per run of outlets you need to find the first outlet and put the GFCI there if you put more than one on a run you run the risk of tripping the other GFCI's ive seen this problem befor some one added a GFCI to a circuit that already had one and every time the outlet was used it would trip the whole circuit. annother option that im gonna specify right now "ONLY A CERTIFIED ELECTRICIAN SHOULD PERFORM THIS WORK" end disclamer you could find the circuit breaker in the pannel that runs the tanks and have a GFCI circuit breaker installed instead of changeing out outlets

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
Wow reading this is starting to worry me abit. When I first bought my Emperor Penguin Power Filter I didn't know it had a serious defect so when I turned it on water literally squirted out the end of one of the sprayer bars right ontop of my surge protector unit (I only use those to make more outlets for my room) and some of it got on the wall outlet aswell. I was freaking out I had no idea what to do. I probably did the dumbest thing ever but I grabbed the cord and unplugged it and let it go real quick. I then wiped up the water.... Not sure if this was the smartest thing in the world but hey I'm still around. I now have the surge protector nailed to the wall and off of the floor.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Most aquarium equipment tells you to have a "drip loop" on your power cords. Basically, you don't want the power cord to go in a straight line to your outlet, be it the wall or a power strip. If they do, and water somehow starts to run down it, it will go straight into your electrical system.

My guess, they say not to because most people put power strips on the floor, and the power cords go straight to them. Try elevating it and letting the cord sag below it so there is an uphill section of cord that keeps water from getting into the power.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
You know they put the same type warning on my toaster to not use it near the bathtub.... Well I have been having crumpets and jam for years with my bubble baths and I'm still here. :duh:

I like to mount my strips up above the floor on the stand where they won't get wet and let the cords all hang below then back up. Thus making a simple drip loop and preventing all worries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store