SW View on "Tanked!"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Idiots, hack comedy, cheesey fake drama, total disregard for the health of the fish. I'd love to see the tanks a month later.

Crazy overstocking, one example iirc the tank looked like maybe 45gal. (the juke box one) It had...2 butterflys, about a dozen cardinals, a few clown fish, hawk fish, about 30 damsels, a bunch of chromis, a couple fire fish, some dottybacks, a blue tang, and a flame angel.

Mixing of corals/fish that just shouldn't be together is pretty bad too. Their fake corals are trash. They can build really crazy stuff but their knowledge of marine life is horrendous. That show actually makes me mad lol.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
If they are so bad at what they do how did they get to be such a large co?? lol gary

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Hi
If they are so bad at what they do how did they get to be such a large co?? lol gary
they are good at building tanks. Their clientele are maintaining them someone else does and their clients don't care. They just want something unusual to draw customers.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
they are good at building tanks. Their clientele are maintaining them someone else does and their clients don't care. They just want something unusual to draw customers.

Yep, I won't deny that they can build some nice tanks, but when it comes to stocking them they need to hire someone knowledgeable to do it. Even the freshwater ones they stock poorly, the pinball machine had way to many angels for what was probably around 40g.

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
I would bet that a properly built tank, such as many people on this forum, costs just as much or a tad less than the tanks these guys build. A proper tank is a lot of work, it has a lot of equipment, and you can't really have a "unique" looking tank without accommodating this equipment. I highly doubt any of their tanks have the proper lighting to grow coral, so they use fake ones. Live rock is extremely expensive and with the additional cost of a custom "unique" tank build I doubt proper filtration is in the mind of an unknowledgeable customer. With the shape of these stands and where these tanks are placed I highly doubt there is a sump, refuge, skimmer or any of the desirable tools we use on our tanks.

I bet you these guys can build a proper habitat for the fish, however, I bet the cost of a proper tank would double and to setup the equipment would change the overall "uniqueness" of the tank itself, thus, not be coveted by their customer base. They are NOT good at building tanks, in fact, they are horrible at it. What they are good at is creating a visual prop. I would also say they are good at selling their product, making a name for themselves, and finding the right contractors to make picking out dead fish and replacing them easy for their customers. Let's face it, there are people out there that still believe you can put a gold fish in a bowl because they only grow to the size of the tank. If they die? Oh well, it's a fish, there are thousands of them in the sea!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
*cough* they built a tank in a bus *cough*

have you ever tried to move your tanks folks, the swaying motion of the vehicle stirs up tons of substrate and makes rocks etc. fall all over. When i have to move I pull all of the livestock and lower the water level to about 3 inches, its very difficult, but yeah hey...lets build and an aquarium bus eh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store