SW View on "Tanked!"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
There's a good article in Tropical Fish Hobbyist about the show, it may ease some of your minds.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No article could ease the mind of someone that loves fish and has also seen the number and species of fish they have put in som of the tanks they have built.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ive seen the show. The tanks do look overstocked...and I might just be imagining this but some of the builds look uncomfortable for fish-like I think they had a phone booth tank, do fish really swim that vertical?

Besides that, they those tanks imo look kind of cheesy. To me, aquariums are awesome because its like having a part of the ocean in your house...not because I can cook toast inside of it or somehow use it to take a dump

Adamrhh

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Ohio
Real Name
Adam
I think they're idiots and would put money on half the fish being dead after a couple weeks of their installs.
I've been to that Vegas restraunt with the outdoor gum ball machine and its still running and looks beautiful ....

People sound more "jealous" than anything .. if the fish were so badly treated they would get too many complaints from there customers... seeing as most are businesses, they wouldnt be making any more shows . Obviously there doing something right and I've never seen them in the news paper or any company owner complaining, every tank they show is always very good looking despite if it suits YOUR taste ..

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I've been to that Vegas restraunt with the outdoor gum ball machine and its still running and looks beautiful ....

People sound more "jealous" than anything .. if the fish were so badly treated they would get too many complaints from there customers... seeing as most are businesses, they wouldnt be making any more shows . Obviously there doing something right and I've never seen them in the news paper or any company owner complaining, every tank they show is always very good looking despite if it suits YOUR taste ..

:rofl: bahahahahaha what makes you think we only do things that work in this country? Maybe about a hundered years ago you could have use the whole "if they're that successful they must be doing something right" reasoning, but anymore people are so stupid, and more so about fish that there is a TV show about a couple of Jersey boys who make "man cave" cichlid tanks WITH FAKE CORAL. oh yeah and skateboard tanks....and tanks that will not fit their stocking at adult size. Hey guys, raise your hands if you go to the pet store and buy fish you KNOW you're going to have to rehome...lol....i like to buy baby red bellied pacus and stick them in a 10g until they out grow it.

but yeah...you got me....i totally want a cichlid tank with fake coral because its built into a space suit....cause I totally can't build anything better or more creative myself...and I actually hate my fishtanks...and I wish I was from Jersey....:hitting:

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Every show gets more outrageous and more ridiculous. I don't understand why people are even watching it, however, I guess I tuned in to it.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida

I have no experience with their tanks, but I do see plenty of similar tanks around here. Living Color Aquariums (who are getting Nat Geo's version of Tanked) does basically the same thing. One thing that stands out if you see a Living Color Aquarium setup often enough, the larger fish change out quite regularly.

No one is arguing that they don't run and look good. But the standard a lot of aquarium enthusiasts use is that it runs, looks good and keeps its stocking from youth to old age. All of these custom tank builders fail the last standard.

It isn't about jealousy. It is just a different approach.

Adamrhh

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Ohio
Real Name
Adam
:rofl: bahahahahaha what makes you think we only do things that work in this country? Maybe about a hundered years ago you could have use the whole "if they're that successful they must be doing something right" reasoning, but anymore people are so stupid, and more so about fish that there is a TV show about a couple of Jersey boys who make "man cave" cichlid tanks WITH FAKE CORAL. oh yeah and skateboard tanks....and tanks that will not fit their stocking at adult size. Hey guys, raise your hands if you go to the pet store and buy fish you KNOW you're going to have to rehome...lol....i like to buy baby red bellied pacus and stick them in a 10g until they out grow it.

but yeah...you got me....i totally want a cichlid tank with fake coral because its built into a space suit....cause I totally can't build anything better or more creative myself...and I actually hate my fishtanks...and I wish I was from Jersey....:hitting:
Just because you don't like the design or the fake coral in a freshwater tank doesn't mean others don't ... I personally don't like fake plants but you see that everywhere.. YOU might be able to build better but not everyone can. Your tastes are different then others so that's fine who cares? Point being you don't need to say harsh words on these guys there fish and fish tanks are plenty good for what they put in it . And yes you can use the they must be doing something right ... you know how fast word spreads through businesses??? Obviously not, no way would they be in business in Vegas doing big hotel clients and such just no. Your just one of those "oh since they made a TV show there not any good, just doing it for fame yada yada"

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
kk.... clientele =/= (does not equal) actual quality

and vegas...well...:rofl:

I've tried to type out an explanation in a few different ways but...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink.

what you've got to understand is most of those businesses wan't a big living plasma screen TV more or less. They don't want to keep fish, they want their clients to see fish...in as shocking and exciting of a manner as possible...you know...hype right?

Their goal is not to create a healthy habitat for their species or see them breed or perform natural behaviors...they want a big TV that's always stuck on nature channel that you feed. If its in a car? EVEN BETTER!!!

Just remember to differentiate these clowns from actual fish keepers, and yeah sure...they're fantastic...if i had no idea about biology, behaviorism, or fish and didn't want to worry about thinking then yeah...I'd be all about tanked. But I'm not a Chad, I don't like huge lifted trucks that drive around on cement their whole lives so the owner can appear to be cool and I don't like big huge tanks with ridiculous themes, poorly stocked fish (at best) and environments I would ask a cockroach to live in so that a business can look cool.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The key thing to keep in mind is that they are building decorations. They do this successfully.

It is all in how people approach their view of things. If a person looks at what these companies do from a decor-perspective, they are very successful and run a good business. If a person looks at it from an animal-rights-perspective though then these types of business are run horribly and the people who run them know nothing.

These tanks are designed very successfully as decorations. Usually the company gets the maintenance contract on it so of course the tank will continue to look good. Put 30 Tangs in, if a few die put more in. The average customer won't notice.

So from a business-perspective they are success. They have clientele and get plenty of business. From an animal-rights-perspective though things get a lot more tricky. Based on some of the interviews they may be fine in that regards. But based on the editing for Season 1 they appeared horrible from an animal-rights-perspective.

Basically arguing the "well they must know what they are doing since they are still in business" argument won't work on these types of forums. It is like going onto a dog forum and arguing that puppy-mills are good businesses because they make money and have plenty of clients.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store