Swim Bladder Problems and Fin Rot on Black Moor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I had initially dosed the tank with one teaspoon per gallon, and have performed three 25% water changes since then. I just did a 90% change, should I just use the salt then?

Kristina

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't do salt, instead, a daily water change of say 30-40 percent, and monitor for 4 to 5 days. if no improvement by then, medicate. of course, if he should take a turn for the worse, then you would alter course. IMO, salt is good for ich, not much else.

what size tank is he in again?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
10 gallon bare bottom with a sponge filter, only filled to 5 gallon capacity

Kristina

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd fill the tank if he isn't having too many swim issues, and add a fake plant or something, strong enough that he might rest on near the surface if he wanted. yeah, sounds like a betta setup, but bettas do get babied and thats what your lil mr moor needs right now.

do you have another sponge filter you could add that comes from a cycled healthy tank? and is the moor's tank cycled already? what are you feeding?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I am not feeding, he is on a three day fast and no I do not have a cycled filter, that is why I am going with the huge water changes. It is filled to 50% capacity because he is having swim bladder issues. Penn Plax plants are on the way. This is totally a temp hospital set up.

Kristina

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I am completely panicking, I don't want to lose this little guy...

Kristina

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
What about Melafix? I know Walmart carries it.

Kristina

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hi Kristina. Since this little guy is already in quarantine as a newly purchased fish and is currently undergoing treatment/observation for either constipation or swim bladder concerns, I'd suggest you update your existing thread with new information like this to clarify the full situation for others who might respond here (or there) and so we may offer more useful advice until he's fully recovered. For that reason, I'm going to merge this new thread into your existing one. (Will note this within the thread, as well, so it's clear for others reading from one to the other.)

Fin rot is very common as a secondary complication along with other problems because it's often caused by highly stressful environmental conditions. Goldfish (like bettas) often react to stress this way. Poor water quality is another likely cause, so be sure you keep up with your water changes and monitor the parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) very closely. The main thing to watch out for right now in regards to his finnage would be (1) reddish areas along the edges or (2) very rapid deterioriation.... which may indicate a bacterial infection (as with Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, or Flavobacterium).

In that case, topical treatment using peroxide, followed by some neosporin may be advised. Keep in mind, however, that most people over-treat fin problems with antibiotics before they correct water quality issues or eliminate other stressful factors. Since he's already in quarantine now and we know the stress he's dealing with to begin with, that already gives us a likely explanation for what you've now discovered.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Thank you, Kashta.

I noticed slight discoloration last night, and this morning there is an actual tear in the left side of the tail fin, a couple of mm long. I also noticed some rubbing on the left side, which is where the white spot has developed. It is not a fuzz or ich like area, rather a discoloration of the actual scales/fins.

As of yet, water parameters have remained amm- 0 nitA - 0 and nitI - 0 with the water changes. There has been some defecation, and I have been careful to siphon this out.

Kristina

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, I'd just keep up the water changes and try not to worry too much. Sometimes it's better to just leave it be rather than try to treat every new symptom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store