Synodontis petricola breeding hut

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
The local breeder that I bought my petricolas from puts his in with his spawning African Cichlids to pick up and brood the eggs. I know he has great success with this method.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Synodontis petricola and Synodontis lucipinnis are both egg scatterers and not brood parasites like Synodontis multipunctatus. Cichlids will not brood their eggs. The eggs are much smaller and there are many times more eggs than with Syno. multipunctatus.
I have never bred the true Syno. petricola but I have bred Syno. lucipinnis. I took a 10 gallon tank and put a tank divider in it separating the tank in half. I then used round marbles to make a double layer of marbles on one side of the tank. I took a reptile cave (which has no bottom) and put it on top the marbles. I then put my pair of Syno. lucipinnis in the tank and let them go to work. They chased each other around in circles within the cave throughout the evening. The next day I removed them from the tank. Within a few days I could see tiny white fry in the marbles and nestled into the grooves on the sponge filter. I removed the divider and left them in there until I could see them swimming around the tank. I fed frozen baby brine shrimp and OSI micro food until they were starting to show some color and then switched to finely crushed flake food. I was able to raise more than 300 fry from that single spawn. They grow really slow but if you change 50% of the water at least weekly you can keep them in the 10 gallon for about 3-4 months at least.
Andy

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well they are already showing spawnign behavior in my cave :) My camera wont' be back from the shop for 7-10 days, hopefully I will have fry by then to take pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store