?Tanked?, a New TV Show for Aquarium Enthusiasts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

turtlelover79

AC Members
Sep 18, 2011
Pecos, NM
That guy actually built his own tank on that giant tank. The show Tanked just builds outrageous tanks, period. Some of them have the potential of being really cool, but the fake coral and overstocking is ridiculous. If I had the money and the time, I would love to build a big SW tank in my house, but I would make sure it was done right, not just done pretty.

Was anyone else horrified by them putting 3 sharks in that lawyer shark desk/tank? No way was that tank big enough for that. And how often were they really going to break out the industrial suction cups to pull the access lid off to feed those poor babies? The tank was cool looking and had a great effect in the office, but it was horribly stocked.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
IMHO, the Telephone Booth Tank would be a nice addition to my house... :)

Seriously though, the tank itself works, so long as you make sure it's not overstocked. It's what, 400gal? With the dimensions I would put.... maybe some smaller reef fish and some corals up top. No more then 20fish and no more then 20 coral species. And add on some much better filtration. If someone really has the guts and $$$ to do it, that tank COULD actually become a decent tank. Still funny as hell to look at though :D

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Also, the tank on "Most Outrageous" probably has plenty of filtration for the fish. I like a crowded tank, they look more alive to me then an empty tank. SO I wouldn't say the tank is bad, per say, just heavily stocked.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
IMHO, the Telephone Booth Tank would be a nice addition to my house... :)

Seriously though, the tank itself works, so long as you make sure it's not overstocked. It's what, 400gal? With the dimensions I would put.... maybe some smaller reef fish and some corals up top. No more then 20fish and no more then 20 coral species. And add on some much better filtration. If someone really has the guts and $$$ to do it, that tank COULD actually become a decent tank. Still funny as hell to look at though :D
Tank is 200G, and how would you put coral in the tank? Even if you managed to get them placed in the tank and put on super high lighting in order to penetrate the water, how would you pick the coral up if something like a snail knocked it over? Get the wetsuit on and dive in?

I disagree on the Phone Booth tank, unless your willing to dump in tons of $ to make the tank workable, more $ than the tank is worth, then I don't think it could ever be a good tank for anything aquatic. Maybe drill a million holes in it, put some sticks in it, and make it a lizard or bird enclosure would be the best use for it in my opinion.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The 'outrageous' tank looks fine. The fish are just bunching up in the shots (probably what they wanted). I'm more surprised some of the smaller monsters haven't become lunch since they have some rather big fish-eaters in there. :rofl:

As for the phone booth tank, I personally can't stand tall tanks. Waste of space. The fish don't know how many gallons it is, it is the footprint they are concerned about. But I could see all the fish surviving in there. It isn't ideal by a long-shot, but with the right filtration the fish should survive. Many types of Tangs are basically the saltwater equivalent of the common Oscar/Pacu/Pleco/Knife problem (as in "but...the label at the store says I can keep it in a 55g! what do you mean I need a bigger tank?!").

willi828

Registered Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overstocked?

Hey guys, just so you know, stocking a tank has a lot more to do with the filtration system than how large it is. If the fish are fighting, its too small. I disagree that any of the tanks I've seen on the show are overstocked.

The keg tank was ugly. Yes, I would've gone with a sweet looking piece of river wood; however, there are not too many cichlids in that tank. Not even for a mere 89 gallons. That tank can hold at least a dozen cichlids (depending on the filtration). The fact that theyre all male may be a problem, but no one wants a female cichlid in a show tank.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I disagree that any of the tanks I've seen on the show are overstocked.
Really? Even when they barely had any room to swim around?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Hey guys, just so you know, stocking a tank has a lot more to do with the filtration system than how large it is. If the fish are fighting, its too small. I disagree that any of the tanks I've seen on the show are overstocked.
Depends a lot on the fish. With certain types of cichlids, yes it is all about filtration. With tangs, it is all about length of the tank. With damsels, it is all about hoping for divine intervention to stop them from eventually killing each other off (even then, it may not be enough).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store