Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Just because a lesson occurred doesn't mean the lesson was learned..............
agreed.

this tank was for the one guys mom... http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?264359-Tanked-nail-tank-update

so it's not like they don't know they're seriously messing up.

for those that don't click links;

here's the reveal...

[yt]xNgcpDf_ESA[/yt]

here's a pic from the thread above a short while later...

if they couldn't fix things after that, they're not likely to push to fix things and keep them fixed later.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was in Vegas in April and my gf and I thought it would be fun to kind of do an ATM "tour of vegas" and take a day to go to some of the locations from the first season and check out the tanks. Well, after some research before the trip....none of them were still around, for various reasons. Entertaining show, but that fact speaks volumes to the long-term care being provided to the tanks and inhabitants.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know. I know from having grown up around people who had money, they often would be willing to spend large chunks of money, but before long, the sheen of novelty wears off, and they replace what they bought, or just didn't take care of it, and ended up throwing it away. Plus, in the first season, they put less effort into designing intelligently for the stock they planned, or stocking intelligently for the design they built.

That said, I'm kinda curious about visiting the facility myself. If I ever win the big Powerball jackpot, they're building me some tanks. *I'll* stock, since I'm willing to be patient with the stocking, but they do build some awesome tanks.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Here is the thing, and the show does a horrible job of making this clear. I think it is two fold; 1) a bunch of fish being in the tank is much more interesting for television then a normal setup or worse, an empty setup and 2) they have to show one of the sponsor's regularly.

ATM doesn't stock these tanks. They don't maintain these tanks. They build the tanks. It's like blaming Marineland if someone's tank crashes. A person goes to ATM, requests a build and is given a list of suggested maintenance companies in their area. They then work with one of these maintenance companies, or pick their own company, to select the stocking for the tank and maintain it.

So basically, if you see one of their tanks leaking, then it is the fault of the company and the show. If you see one of their tanks poorly maintained, that is the fault of the client who ordered the tank.

Unfortunately, as with most reality shows, half of it is edited to cut out boring details that would explain a lot of things and the other half is staged for the sake of making it watchable. So we get them playing jokes, running into highly predicable problems and for some bizarre reason, picking fish out and overstocking the tank. And then the client acts surprised for the cameras.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
From my watching of the show they were very much stocking the tanks. I mean, there is no third party that comes in and does that.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I hear you psyche, but Khemul's got a very valid point: reality TV doesn't show everything that's pertinent, because many pertinent things don't make for good TV. I really do wonder how much more interesting (to us, since we're a lot more knowledgeable than the average TV viewer about aquaria) stuff never makes it off the editing room floor. Yes, they're shown stocking the tanks, but have you noticed that the fish they mention seem to never be *all* that's in the tank? They often reference a local supplier, too, and that supplier could be the one "stocking" the tank in that they're providing/choosing the fish, and it's just not shown. Ah, the magic of television.

And before anyone tries to get clever, yes, I know, digital blah blah, figure of speech blah blah.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
From my watching of the show they were very much stocking the tanks. I mean, there is no third party that comes in and does that.
You've never found it suspicious that they fly to Exotic Reef Imports to personally pick out the fish each episode? Seems like a big waste, even for a company interested in maintaining tanks. But ATM doesn't do tank maintenance.

I suspect they did it as an excuse to show off and talk about the fish each episode.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
In the 'made of TV' realm...Francis the Fish Geek doesn't wear glasses. At all. That's part of the costume for the show, and he HAS to wear them. So I'm sure there are aspects to truth to that, but given what I know about the 'success' of other installs from them...I don't buy their complete innocence. Too many tanks from them that have turned to complete crap to constantly be blaming a local supplier, and they DO sell fish now as well.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In the 'made of TV' realm...Francis the Fish Geek doesn't wear glasses. At all. That's part of the costume for the show, and he HAS to wear them. So I'm sure there are aspects to truth to that, but given what I know about the 'success' of other installs from them...I don't buy their complete innocence. Too many tanks from them that have turned to complete crap to constantly be blaming a local supplier, and they DO sell fish now as well.
Indubitably. That phone booth tank? :thumbsdown:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store