Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks,

it's good to see the other side of the fence being represented.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I don't think people were question maintenance, they were questioning stocking. From the show they clearly stock the tanks.

By the look of it they need a better maintenance company too.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
From the show, the put the fish in the tanks, so in one way of looking at the word, yes, they're stocking the tank. But, again, there are *always* fish in the tank that they weren't shown choosing or talking about. Always.

On another note, one thing I don't like about Fish Tank Kings is that they wild catch their marine fish. Quarantine? Anyone? That seems irresponsible if people are paying for these fish that they brag about catching, and end up with something that isn't healthy, and potentially kills all of their fish.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Basically, the thing that needs to be kept in mind with these shows is that they are, um, well, reality TV, and these people are tank *manufacturers* first. In fact, it looks like making tanks and doing TV are jobs 1 and 2, and the other things are generally handled by affiliates while using familiar faces. We, being that we are people acutely *interested* in the facets of aquaria that don't make for good TV, want to see behaviors that we just can't. Sadly, we comprise a significantly small minority of the population. Just looking at my workplace, and considering the number of people who have bettas in 1 gallon or less bowls, unheated and unfiltered, as being full blown and hardcore aquarists, maybe as many as 8% of the people that work here would fall in that category. Since we all know that many people who keep bettas don't have good success rates because they're, well, just not that interested in doing things the "right" way, we know the actual figures are lower. Since one of the main jobs is to make a TV show that attracts viewers (and therefore dollars) and the other main job is to sell custom/stock tanks, they don't have much choice but to make shows that have potentially controversial tank/stock combinations, because it that way makes it sexy for the sheeple that drive ratings, and doing it slow and educating clients that are disinterested in proper care does not make good TV.

Himekp

AC Members
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago
I know ATM does bring at least some fish out and buy others. About a year or 2 ago they stopped in at my LFS because they had fish die in shipping.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
FTK quarantines. All of the fish they bring in are quarantined before stocking. That's actually one of the things Francis spoke about, and how important it is. He helped setup quarantine systems for several of the 'public' aquariums in the Middle East.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
When they did the install at that house in, I think, the Caymans, the way he was talking about it implied they just caught the fish, in my opinion. If they're going through a quarantine process, then I'll retract my comment about them being irresponsible.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I don't think people were question maintenance, they were questioning stocking. From the show they clearly stock the tanks.

By the look of it they need a better maintenance company too.
Heres the thing. There are two stockings for each setup. There are the fish you see ATM picking up and adding, and there are the fish the client/maintenance company picked out. The fish ATM adds are not tank stocking. They are staging. They are there to look good on camera. Filming stops, the staging fish are removed and the client/maintenance company fish are left in.

So, yes, in the sense that you see them adding fish to the tank, it does appear they are stocking the tank. But in the sense of who picked out the final selection of fish, ATM is not stocking the tank.

For instance, in the article, the Blacktip was a staging fish. One they've used in multiple episodes. It was removed because filming ended, not because it ate a fish (if one removed a shark for eating a couple fish then they'd never keep sharks...).

http://news.aquariuminfo.nl/atm-tanked-responds-to-the-coney-island-shark-drama/#.UcpUDqMpCSx

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store