tearing down and setting up a fish room.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Have checked those out but all seem too complicated .lol The one I used before used a gravity fed siphon attached to the toilet tank Was fully automatic and required no pumps . While it did change the water did nothing for the gravel which is where the "purge" system comes in. By elevating the gravel bed it allows the filtered water to be returned Under the gravel. Of course what this does is setup a reverse flow UGF and also a "plenum". On my previous setups the flow was not strong enough nor were there enough ways to alter the flow path. Though it did go a LONG way in keeping the gravel clean as well as siphoning mulm from under the plates . Did not run long enough to see how effective as a Nitrate filter But in this case the reservoir will serve as a "veggie" filter which IMO is far more effective at nitrate removal. But my main theory of filtation is to remove the contaminates rather than alter them.
Since this tank will have rocks as the main decoration I feel that I can really step up the flow rates making a far more effective purge . Anyway thanks for the help!!! gary

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
i am on city water so all the ones i looked into had to treat the water. i could have done a auto dosser pump how neo has his but i really wanted to flsuh the system vs drip. mine is designed for max amount of options. i can very easy later on change it to a auto wc system if i wished. ill also have bb tanks plus some plant tanks on the system.

the next section ill be putting up will all be connected and i will have some tanks acting as a veggie filter for the whole system.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
my next problem which took me some time was power. how in the world would i power this thing. i know this time i wanted dedicated circuits. i was drawing off 3 different ones not to over load it. my box was already over loaded.

older house max box. took a little while but i found a friend who was a electrician. he was able to put a new box. sure wasnt cheap but it needed to be done.

the 7 hour job ended up taking closer to 10 hours and 2 days.
i also got a sub panel installed to make adding more circuits later on.

since i have never have too many plug ins i got a bunch of them installed.

i had 2 lines ran. the bottom lines have a in wall timer and the top one is 24/7 power.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
1 figured out how i would set up the water change system
2 figured out how to build the stands
3 figured out the power

my next goal was to figure out how many tanks i could fit. I decide on a tiered system to make getting into the tanks easy. i have 2 85s that are 72 inch long. i had some 40 breeders to set up as well plus a ton of 20s. i opened up photoshop and made some over head blue prints to scale.

this was the 1st idea but the rack would be too close together. so that was scrapped.

this is the design i went with. top and left wall would be the same. 2 40 breeders on the bottom 85 middle and 3 20s on top. the one on the bottom would be 3 60s and a rack with 6 20s.

this is how it was going to look once the new section was done and after tear down the old one.

at this point the idea was a 240 which i bought then i had 2 7x2 racks i had the old tanks on. I was thinking put 20s side ways get 4-5 on there maybe some 40s i really didnt have any clue.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Lookin good!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of water spot generator do you use?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
maybe kurtis can handle the task after extensive training....

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
That would take a lot of training......it takes years to build those kind of skills.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store