The begining of a shellie tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Sand most likely a Aragonite type?
Efors, I did look at the Multi's and I liked them but I just like the Similis better. Funny you mentioned the Julidochromis, I was looking at them also and was thinking if I could only go with one type of Shelly maybe getting them since they were very similar looking to the Telmatochromis.
I was also wondering about the Gobies..they just look so cute!
Aragonite type sand is great to have high pH and hardness and to work as a buffer. Yeah, I mentioned the Julies, because I also prefer to mix 1 shellie species with a Julie species; than to mix 2 shellie species. But I was not sure if you were going to like the idea.
As for the Gobies, I know from Austin that they are very aggressive and that he had to separate the 2 gobies he has. He can say better if you can have just 1 goby in this setup. I think Todd knows about them, too.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Well then Todd a sponge on the end it shall be, I'm not to worried about color but if I can get black that would be nice.

When I took the silicone off the 75 I used rubbing alcohol along with the blade, but I don't think I want to do it that way with this. Will just the blade work fine? I have four pieces of glass I will be removing from inside the tank...any advice on how NOT to get the seal in the tank itself? Three of the pieces of glass go all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Efors do you know if the arogonite comes in black? I'd love to get black sand, if not it's not a big deal, just wondering.
I love the little julies, I am looking at "dickfeldi", "Kissi", and "regani". I don't mean to get all three...just that those are the ones I liked best and will most likely be deciding between them.
So far I am thinking either Lamprologus Stappersii, Brivis or Similis along with one of the Julies, and possibly paracyps. Although now I have looked at the ones Austin suggested and I really like them too and if I could add a gobie...OMG, I just don't know!!!!!!!!!!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I'm not sure if there is a black aragonite sand, but there is the Eco-Complete African Cichlid Sand that is black and white. Somewhat expensive, but a great substrate with aragonite and other ingredients that provide high pH and hardness as well as buffer. Nothing else needed to do this job.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The J. transcriptus "Kissi" is probably the best option out of the three. As a very general rule, the smaller the average adult size, the less aggressive it is. That is not to say that the others will not work but I personally have have good success mixing the transcriptus with shellies.

Also, you will ultimately have to choose between julies and paracyps. They will both try to inhabit the rockwork and will likely not be able to coexist given the space limitations.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
If thats the case, I will be going with the Julies. I can find a different tank mate, if one at all.
Thanks Pap!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I don't know how far Evansville is from you but there is a guy there that breeds TONS of Tangs. He sells them really cheap too.

Here's his current list for June:

10 Cyprichromis leptosoma Speckle Back Rainbow 1.25" $110 for group
15 Julidochromis ornatus 1.25" $5 each
10 Julidochromis transcriptus Bemba 1.25" $5 each
7 Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Point 1.25" $8 each
20 Lamprologus calvus white Chaitika 1.25" $6 each
15 Lamprologus caudopunctatus redfin 1.25" $6 eacb
20 Lamprologus compressiceps goldhead Malasa 1"+ $6 each
20 Lamprologus hecqui 1.5" $1.75 $6 each
20 Lamprologus ocellatus Gold 1"+ $6 each
15 Lamprologus speciosus 1.25" $6 each
10 Lamprologus tretocephalus 1.25" $6 each
15 Tropheus moorii Kachese - Copper Chest 1.5" $120 for group
10 Xenotilapia bathyphilus Blue Mtoto 1.25"+ $90 for group
12 Xenotilapia ochragenys Ndole Bay 1.25" $100 for group
10 Julidochromis dickfeldi 1.5"+ $5.00
8-10 1" yellow calvus $6 each
10 Chalinochromis brichardi 1.25"+ $6 each or 6 for $30
12 Cyprichromis leptosoma Kekese Blue 1.5" $100 for group
15 Lamprologus calvus Inkfin 1.25" $6 each
10 Lamprologus compressiceps red Lufubu 1.75" $10 each
10 Lamprologus melegrise 1" $6 each
2 Lamprologus ornatipinnis Kigoma 1" $5 each
8 Ophthalmotilapia ventralis kapemba 1"-1.5" $60 for group

8-10 Psuedotropheus saulosi 1" $3 each

Peacock males of beanschi, ngara eureka red and bicolor 500 price range from $10-$18 each
some female available

5" male Copadichromis borleyi nkata bay $20
He has more, this is just what is around right now. When I was setting up my Tang tank I just used his list and looked up species I liked.

There's also a guy who lives up the street from me that breeds some shellies. He has similis but he just got them so I don't think they are breeding yet. He had a pretty hard time finding them.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you ask at Living Art, they will give you as many shells as you want. They are usually free, it just depends on who is there. The shells are sadly shells from marine snails that didn't make it. They work really well for shellies. I used them when I had multis.
If you can't get the shells elsewhere, Hobby Lobby sells shells by the bag very cheap.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Well then Todd a sponge on the end it shall be, I'm not to worried about color but if I can get black that would be nice.

When I took the silicone off the 75 I used rubbing alcohol along with the blade, but I don't think I want to do it that way with this. Will just the blade work fine? I have four pieces of glass I will be removing from inside the tank...any advice on how NOT to get the seal in the tank itself? Three of the pieces of glass go all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Efors do you know if the arogonite comes in black? I'd love to get black sand, if not it's not a big deal, just wondering.
I love the little julies, I am looking at "dickfeldi", "Kissi", and "regani". I don't mean to get all three...just that those are the ones I liked best and will most likely be deciding between them.
So far I am thinking either Lamprologus Stappersii, Brivis or Similis along with one of the Julies, and possibly paracyps. Although now I have looked at the ones Austin suggested and I really like them too and if I could add a gobie...OMG, I just don't know!!!!!!!!!!
G, I have j. Transcriptus, dickfeldi and marlieri. Of the three I like the marlieri best in temperment and looks. The transcriptus are slightly smaller as adults but not as pretty, IMO. The dickfeldi are mean little snots...to tankmates and each other.

Mark

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
if you go to my profile i have some pictures of my gobies from when i had them, and with a 30, i would only do one. they are really rough on one another. by themself though they are still quite an attractive species, bouncing around from perch to perch and all. mine never bothered with the other fish so i dont think you'll have any problem with them.

the problem with the A. comp 'sumbu shell' that i suggested is that they are VERY hard to obtain. and if you can get your hands on some, be prepared to pay big, ive seen trios go for no less than $100. ive yet to find a place that carries them for cheap. if you do get some though i call first dibs on fry lol.

paracyps, i had one at one time, and ill warn you that they indeed arnt very colorful. this may have been due to him being by himself but like it has already been said they just dont like bright light. these can also be a somewhat costly fish at times, no real aggression issues there.

shellies, ive kept multies as well as brevis. my male brevis killed the female and beat the crap out of the other fish in the tank. i eventually sold him to a friend. mine was an "ikola sunspot", which are really pretty. but i just didnt have a good brevis experience i suppose. they arnt colonial either which is why i love my N. multifaciatus. i have 2 tanks full of them, my breeding colony which i keep in a 10g and my smaller colony which has been moved from tank to tank over the last year or so. when i had them in my 55 i noticed that there were common skirmishes between multies on the outside of the colony and my J. marleri "gombi" (also called J. transcriptus) so i suppose so breaking of the lines of sight would be necessary because i had plenty of rocks for him.

tanganyikan fish are very hard to stock in my opinion because there are so many different species to choose from and each have their own pros and cons and most arnt compatible or else are hit and miss. if you stick with them youll end up with many tanks of them to keep them all lol.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I don't know how far Evansville is from you but there is a guy there that breeds TONS of Tangs. He sells them really cheap too.

Here's his current list for June:

He has more, this is just what is around right now. When I was setting up my Tang tank I just used his list and looked up species I liked.

There's also a guy who lives up the street from me that breeds some shellies. He has similis but he just got them so I don't think they are breeding yet. He had a pretty hard time finding them.
Well, I looked up Evansville and it is about 1 1/2 hours from me :)

Thanks Blue, I will check him out!

HEY MARK! How ya doin?!?! So the marlieri huh...thanks for the info!!!!

Well, Austin I think I'll stay away from the Brivis then, and if I get a gobie will stick with just one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store