The BIG... downgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kryptic4l

AC Members
May 21, 2007
Antartica
the key is to rig many tanks into 1 sump :)

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
well at least you got yourself a great computer desk . . :)

I've only ever really had one tank at home... Just one tank already takers up so much of my time, I can't see myself getting more than one.

Like what was said previously, sometimes less is more.

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Hey Amp, what's with this world....down sizing, down sizing, and more down sizing. Must be the new fish & coral era. :D

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Good luck amph!
Will a 40 gallon really be that much less work than a 75? What about just taking a few fish out so you dont have to do the same volume of water changes? if you are doing the same equiptment how would it change besides for waterchange volume? (which really isn't THAT much more)
You will still dose, just half as much (1 less scoop of whatever you use if you are doing a two part, or just turn down the CO2 on the Ca reactor). Feed just as often, just half as much. Do top offs just as often, just a little less (not much with the same lighting as the 75 and the surface area of the 40 breeder.)
Do what you need to do, I just don't see how downgrading 35 gallons is SUCH a big difference. :p

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Good luck amph!
Will a 40 gallon really be that much less work than a 75? What about just taking a few fish out so you dont have to do the same volume of water changes? if you are doing the same equiptment how would it change besides for waterchange volume? (which really isn't THAT much more)
You will still dose, just half as much (1 less scoop of whatever you use if you are doing a two part, or just turn down the CO2 on the Ca reactor). Feed just as often, just half as much. Do top offs just as often, just a little less (not much with the same lighting as the 75 and the surface area of the 40 breeder.)
Do what you need to do, I just don't see how downgrading 35 gallons is SUCH a big difference. :p
Actually, it has less to do with the size than it does the actual animals I'll be keeping. It is mainly to restrict the space to the anemone (for the most part). That way I don't have to worry about any spawning effects toward everything else (since there really won't be anything else). Also, calcium demands will be significantly lower and water quality won't be of as much importance (anemones are actually pretty darn tolerant). You'll have to trust me when I say I've thought this all out for a while, though.

Eddiecorrea

War kitty! God hates cats!
Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
Actually, it has less to do with the size than it does the actual animals I'll be keeping. It is mainly to restrict the space to the anemone (for the most part). That way I don't have to worry about any spawning effects toward everything else (since there really won't be anything else). Also, calcium demands will be significantly lower and water quality won't be of as much importance (anemones are actually pretty darn tolerant). You'll have to trust me when I say I've thought this all out for a while, though.
Just dont pour disolved PH Buffer in over them! My carpet anemone instantly shrunk to like 4 inches across when its like 12 or more when open. I just poured it in the tank not thinking about it and all the sudden it shrunk right up. It stayed that way for about 8 hours and is almost all the way open again.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, I figured I may as well update things. I actually lost my anemone due to a cold snap (and tank shortage) while I was gone for a few days. I honestly thought she was nigh-invincible, but apparently not (R.I.P.). On the other hand, the few remaining corals (2) survived, along with all 3 fish and all are doing exceptionally well. This also means that my options for corals have expanded considerably without the "unknown" anemone factor.

Current tank stats are:
-40g breeder 36x18x15 w/ drilled overflow box
-38 gallon rubbermaid tub/sump
-6-39w overdriven T5s w/ IceCap SLRs (and an eggcrate light shield to help everything acclimate
-4-1500gph Tunze nanostream 6025s
-Mag 1200 throttled back, feeding tank and two TLF media reactors with carbon and GFO
-Deltec APF600 (overkill for this size, but not a bad thing :D)
-LiterMeter III with 2 remote modules, dosing DIY 3 part solution

That's it for now. Unfortunately, I'm too embarrassed to take pics at the moment, but I will include them when things begin looking more satisfactory. It is a barren tank indeed... :( ...but it is also a fresh new start :).

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It'll be next week. I'll need to clean the glass first, too. In any case, when I do get them up, please try to ignore the ridiculous amounts of Aiptasia thriving on the live rock. Just an FYI :D.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store