The BIG... downgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Can I have the old one? lol

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Can I have the old one? lol
You don't really want it. All that is left is the tank, stand, canopy, and sump. The rest I ended up using for this tank. Besides, the stand and canopy are very old and the water has gotten the better of them. Beyond that, the tank is also very old and etched beyond all belief. You likely wouldn't want it. I don't think I'll even be able to sell it in the condition it is in, but that is what 15 years of continuous hard use lands you.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
You don't really want it. All that is left is the tank, stand, canopy, and sump. The rest I ended up using for this tank. Besides, the stand and canopy are very old and the water has gotten the better of them. Beyond that, the tank is also very old and etched beyond all belief. You likely wouldn't want it. I don't think I'll even be able to sell it in the condition it is in, but that is what 15 years of continuous hard use lands you.

you would be surprised what I would want... I love to restore aquariums and even completely rebuild them. I was acctually only joking but I wish I lived in your area because I would likely buy it off you since its cheap

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
To be honest, I am hoping someone with your same spirit, determination, and attitude comes along looking for my tank, lol. I'd love for someone to restore it and have it looking great again.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, I wanted to make a minor update out of this. Since starting this thread over a year ago, the tank suffered probably another 9-10 months of more neglect (which, counting the old tank, is about 2 years' worth), becoming largely encroached with algae, many corals bleaching or dying, etc. Only until recently, shortly after building and officially using an algal turf scrubber, have I really started getting it back together. I've got a few pics and you'll be able to see a good bit of the algae that grew. It's all in the process of dying and has become lighter in color--even growing coralline on it. Still, some spots are stubborn and I'm dealing with those now. It's a matter of time--a long time, but time nonetheless. I'm hoping it will be in top shape in another 6 months. I'll give the corals another few years to grow out, too. Yes, there are too many corals in there, but I plan to weed them out and leave my favorite few as time progresses. Anyway, enough talk:

Full tank shot:

Shot of primary rock structure and most corals:

New Seagrass sprigs I ordered--hopefully they'll settle in:

"rose" A. millepora:

Some Acropora that I was given that is turning blue, along with a browned out Stylophora that's starting to turn pink:

Plain orange M. digitata with faint glimpse of pink Stylophora tip:

That's about it. My red Goniopora did great until it became buried for almost a week while I was away. It wants to live, but it looks awful. The rest is stuff I've had, like the partial bubble coral on the far left and the red open brain hidden on the far right. Note that the algae is in patches--that is actually due to my sea urchin, which has done a good job of keeping it clean. Actually, the patches he roves through don't grow back, so that's a good sign. In all, I'm happy with the progress and the corals are growing extremely well. Lastly, those pics make the tank look far bluer than it is in person. I'd go nuts if the tank were actually that blue. Thanks for looking at my neglected tank.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Well, my grandfather actually milled/routed/etc. it, I just assembled it. I just didn't have the heart to sell it and I figured it make an awesome computer desk (which I don't have and I need).

good on you your grandpa made you a family keepsake

i am all for only keeping the amt of tanks you can truly enjoy withoout it being a burden.

i am holding my 3 mth old as i type so the grammar and punc MEH

i will say if i was not headed in a business sense or using them for display I would have maybe 2 tanks .

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The desk is awesome. Tons of storage for all my junk and a beautiful piece to the rest of the room. He also just made a full bedroom set for my little sister's place.

Looking good, Amph! I LOVE the blue acro!
Thanks. It's not quite blue yet, but we'll see. If I had bluer lighting, it would induce it a bit better.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
You know, as newbies we all want big, bigger, and if you ask what size, everyone always says biggest.
But as time goes on, most of us that stick w/ this hobby realize that which we own, also owns us.
Downsizing to a manageable size can be a real good thing.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, this one has proven to be a bit more manageable. I hate that I've neglected it for so long until the last couple months. Much of that was due to hardware failure (pieces that shouldn't fail, like my LiterMeter, the spectrapure auto top off, etc.) and the lack of time and money to deal with it. The addition of the scrubber has gone far in eliminating the need for GFO, which (at least until it is easily regenerable) ends up being cheaper for me and the mechanism is a bit more natural. That, and I get by with less electricity--80w compared to 130w. But my whole tank is fairly efficient otherwise, so that's not a big worry. I'm satisfied with the progress and results I'm getting in any case.

The fact that I'm able to feed much, much more is pretty helpful, too. Biodiversity has boomed since I picked up the pace. I'm feeding the fish twice per day--a dash of pelletized food and usually a whole frozen cube of something random. This is just for 2 clownfish. Then the corals usually get a whole cube of rotifers or something, along with about 4-5 pumps of one of the liquid life feeds (Coral Plankton, I believe). A fair amount of food input, which I intend to increase when the seagrass ([Halophila decipiens], though the sprigs I got were from stunted winter growth) gets going.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store