the Craigslist 55g Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great price on a new tank!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
minor update

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Hope you all got something fish related. (I didn't :(...well, at least not yet. :))

I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon sanding the stand down to bare wood in preparation to stain it.

Tomorrow, I plan on going over a few spots with 80grit, then the whole thing with 120grit, clean it up, and then start to stain it.

My dad also mentioned the idea of putting in European hinges, if I can find any that will work in this application.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Today, I decided to start staining after much indecision about whether to paint or stain the stand black. Got the doors and almost the rest of the stand done. Will finish up the rest tomorrow.

I will also take some photos tomorrow, hopefully of a finished black stand.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I have that same exact kind of tank, with the thin seals and glass center bar. At first I was worried that the seals are too thin, but the tank has been full for te past 2 months, so don't worry about it.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I have that same exact kind of tank, with the thin seals and glass center bar. At first I was worried that the seals are too thin, but the tank has been full for te past 2 months, so don't worry about it.
I see. That's good news then. I tested the seals and there were no leaks, so it's nice to have thin inner seals so they won't be so apparent. I've seen new tanks in stores that have gobs of silicon in the corners.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I'm bad at keeping promises. No new pictures :(. But I am finished with staining for the most part. I'm looking to start putting on polyurethane tomorrow, starting with the doors.

Definitely will get pictures tomorrow.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Pretty much done with the stand. Stained and varnish/spar urethane applied. Getting another another coat of varnish tomorrow, then painting the back of the tank black. Still wondering what I want to the doors. European or regular cabinet hinges?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store