the Craigslist 55g Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Now that I think about it, I think I'm going to leave the interior as is for ease of finding things. Ever seen one of those backpacks with a yellow interior? It's like that to make it easier to find things in the pack. Same idea going with this. If anything, I'll put a few coats of urethane on the inside.

txbetta

Little Betta Girl
Oct 7, 2008
DFW
ooo I'd have fought my mom if she wanted me to paint that stand I liked it the was it is lol then again black would go better with... hmm maybe I should paint my stands black... bah look what you've done!

Look forward to pics of tank with water :p

PS: I just got an AWESOME deal on craigslist, for 50.00 I got the exact same 55 g tank a heavy box of crap incluidng several filters, heaters, live rock I will never use (dont do salt water other then brineshrimp), decorations, air pumps, power heads, 2 10 gallon tanks 1 5 gallon tank, 1 30 gallon tank!

But damnit still no 40 g for my stand... /cry

Been trying to find a 40 g for 60 bucks or less bare tank for WEEKS, mine broke and I have this beautiful wooden stand and canopy that was fairly expensive and I want to use it! -_- The only 40 I've seen is like... well 120 bucks yech

Hurry up and finish the suspense is gonna kill me!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Personally, I find black more elegant. Lighter wood doesn't do it for me. It must be the Asian in me. :lol2: You know, all the black lacquered furniture. I love that look.

But yeah, the whole sanding/staining/varnishing thing ate up my break. If I hadn't had to change the color, this tank would be up and running by now. But I did learn how to stain wood :).

txbetta

Little Betta Girl
Oct 7, 2008
DFW
Well I am in the process of staining mine lol, my husband wants it to match my other stands... any tips? Right now I am staining the bottom part, then the trim and doors will be stained separately and attached. I think I should paint it black think it would look better/hide imperfections, plus I am not sure how that kinda wood will look stained... I plan to stain it, then use a gloss top coat, or do you have better tips?

55stand.jpg

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
That makes sense to leave the inside plain to ake finding things easier. I'll probably end up staining the inside a cherry finish, but keep a little fluorescent desk light in there to let me actually see things.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Well I am in the process of staining mine lol, my husband wants it to match my other stands... any tips? Right now I am staining the bottom part, then the trim and doors will be stained separately and attached. I think I should paint it black think it would look better/hide imperfections, plus I am not sure how that kinda wood will look stained... I plan to stain it, then use a gloss top coat, or do you have better tips?
The "grains" of your wood are quite broad. IMHO, I think that painting it is more appropriate, unless you like the look of it. I might try staining a less noticeable area first to see if you like it.

In the FW Equipment/DIY, I made this thread here about whether I should paint or stain my stand. There's a few good posts in there.

6.5x55

AC Members
Nov 26, 2008
England
www.riflesintheuk.com
Nice deal! I recently did the back of an established in black. I cleaned the glass and gave it 3 coats of black acrylic - it's cheap, waterproof, quick-drying and tough and it razorblades off perfectly if you later change your mind :).

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I picked up a can of black enamel (the cheap $0.97 per can ones). Not sure if it's acrylic or not. 1 can did the whole back side, but I don't think it's holding very well. Coverage isn't that great. I'll let it dry overnight and see what happens. Might have to scrape it off and buy a can of the better stuff. I'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

:lol2: slightly dizzy from that...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store