The Damsel Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Jesshika, would you by any chance have a pic of him at the larger stage? Do you still have him? How long do these live?

Love the angle in the first picks. How long ago was that?

Do you have any stories to tell? What did you like about them?
Thanks, the first pic was about 3 months ago but since then I gave him back to the LFS. He was about 4" when I got rid of him and he was starting to turn all black. He had a lot more color when I bought him. I bought him when he was 1". When he was small I liked him a lot and he was nice to all the other fish when I had him in my 25 gal. He did have a good personality for a damsel but he got too mean for my clarkii when I moved him to my 40.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
I had a four stripe and a domino damsel in with a porcupine puffer. The puffer was bigger than both and he got his rear end whipped!!! I ended up getting rid of both. I had a bluefin in my reef with a clarkii and they behaved well with other fish. Then one day the clarkii jumped to his death and after that the bluefin went off his rocker and started attacking everything. I moved him in with a grouper I was temporarily housing and even the grouper kept his distance (small grouper, big bluefin). Finally got rid of both. No more damsels or clowns for me!!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Last edited:

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
My local pet store has a Striped damsel and its huge... So i think its doing alright in there.

I have a blue devil and yellow tail damsel in my tank and they really stick to themselfs.. my one clown is the mean one in the tank. But right noww im Dripping a Yellow tang so well see how that goes when i add him.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
They don't sound that aggressive after reading about the clowns.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/neoglyphidodon.htm
Yah some clowns like the maroons can get very territorial and aggressive but then there are some like the clarkii who are very docile and not aggressive at all. I thought my velvet damsel was really nice too and that everyone else was wrong when they said they were really aggressive lol but now I find out that dark side of my velvel damsel...

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
My local pet store has a Striped damsel and its huge... So i think its doing alright in there.

I have a blue devil and yellow tail damsel in my tank and they really stick to themselfs.. my one clown is the mean one in the tank. But right noww im Dripping a Yellow tang so well see how that goes when i add him.
How big are the Damsels? How long you had them? Any pics?

I am really courious about who was in the tank first, what size and when new additions etc. Was the Damsel in first? Large then add small clown or big clown? Or Clown first?

Did I mention pics? Any funny stories, personalities? I mean other than they are afraid of your clown that is.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Jesshika, I was wondering if you had any problems with the damsel before you moved it to the new tank?

It's these little bits of info I am gathering to see if there is a pattern of when the mean comes out.

Take for instance, alot have been used to cycle a tank. That is brutal and could affect the fish in some way.

Also, I am courious if like a dog, the fish can take on some of the personality of the keeper? Probably a long stretch, but I notice my damsels really pay attention to me also.

These little things might be enough to find a way to acclimate a damsel to be a good little fishy. Maybe maybe not, has it ever been studied? It is so easy to write the fish off, they are cheap.

But the American Pitt Bull Terrior got a bad rap also. Great dog, but not for everybody.

I just want to dig and explore more about these seemingly wonderful fish. I want them to keep the great personalities I watch and enjoy.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
My velvet used to shake his tail at the clarkii. He would get near the clown and turn around and wave his tail right in his face lol.
Now that's cute, Hansel does that to my coral LOL, but only when I have the light on him what a showman.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store