The Damsel Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
I added mine into my 25 gallon tank after the tank was a little over a year old and he was fine with the clarkii clownfish that was already in the tank. It wasn't until I moved them to my new 40 gal that the damsel got very territorial. I've had a lot of different kinds of damsels and so far the yellow tails have been the nicest. The three stripe, velvet and Allen's damsel have all gotten very aggressive. I just think its in their nature to become aggressive, some species anyways. Another reason I got rid of the velvet was because he kept knocking over rocks and digging huge craters in the sand.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
They sure seem to like to kick up my sand LOL

CA Girl huh?

I just moved from Orange county to Tucson less than a year ago. Looking forward to going diving Catalina in early January. Water is a bit colder than our tanks though :22_yikes:

BTW, Don't you miss their antics?

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
They sure seem to like to kick up my sand LOL

CA Girl huh?

I just moved from Orange county to Tucson less than a year ago. Looking forward to going diving Catalina in early January. Water is a bit colder than our tanks though :22_yikes:

BTW, Don't you miss their antics?
Yep from Cali. I've been diving down in Catalina quite a few times. lots of fun and different fish and yea the water is a lot colder! =D

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
I had a yellow tail devil that had a ton of personality. If I only wanted one fish in my tank it would have worked out well because that is what he wanted, but I wanted more. When he finished killing his buddy I removed him (Boy that was FUN)!

My (false perc) clown has never showed any aggression. In fact, I believe if he could talk he would sound allot like DORI form the movie. He eats from my hand, but he acts like he has a negative fish IQ. I like him but he's not bright!

My Royal Gamma on the other hand -

Last edited:

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
as grins says clowns are damsels.....some clowns are really aggressive.....a friend of mine put a maroon in with a tomato clown and the maroon was beat up real bad :(

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I had a yellow tail devil that had a ton of personality. If I only wanted one fish in my tank it would have worked out well because that is what he wanted, but I wanted more. When he finished killing his buddy I removed him (Boy that was FUN)!

My (false perc) clown has never showed any aggression. In fact, I believe if he could talk he would sound allot like DORI form the movie. He eats from my hand, but he acts like he has a negative fish IQ. I like him but he's not bright!

My Royal Gamma on the other hand -
How old or big were they when this happened. Was anything changed in the tank just prior to him killing his buddy?

Did the aggression come on slow or just one day he decided to kill the other one. Is there anything you can remember about just before the aggression that might give a clue to why they turn?

But enough about that, what were some of the things you did like about him when he behaved? I have noticed that most really loved their Damsel and just wish they would get along.

I added more light to my tank yesterday, and the Damsels did not like it. The Velvet Damsel went into hiding for a half day. She's been a tad cranky today and I hope this passes.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I have a love-hate relationship with damsels. Here are some of them:

Neon Velvet Damsel:

It's about 3.5", or maybe even close to 4" and it's white bar is beginning to fade. I've seen a 6" specimen at an LFS once and they're definately more colorful when small. I purchased this neon velvet along with a few other species and he was the smallest of them all, I thought it would get bullied or killed within a week. But it was good at dodging the more aggressive one's and eventually developed this 'technique' where when chased it would stop evading its pursuers and would dip its head either up or down (I forget which), but the vertical white bar would be in a horizontal position and it would the pursuers (other damsels) would stop their pursuits. It was kind of funny because in that position the line looked like the horizontal line in the "Do Not Enter" road signs (though in this application it meant "do not chase" in damsel body language and was obeyed).

Despite being the smallest (less than half the size of the others and the others were barely 2") it had an astounding rate of growth (at least compared to the others). I remember looking at the tank and noticing, almost overnight, it was the largest fish in the tank (well the others were still 2" but it was 2.5", up from 1"). It also grew in aggression and was no longer chased.

I eventually had to evict it from my reef tank because it would throw destructive 'hunger tantrums' (it would vandalize, but not consume, my xenia, when ever it was hungry, it always seemed to do it 20min before feeding time). Evicting it was easier said than done and involved me taking all my corals out, most of the rocks and all but an inch or two depth of water (and it still was hard to catch! It's now in a fish only tank and doing fine.

Azure Damsel

I started out with a trio of these. A day or two later one almost killed the other (it would tolerate the 3rd just fine). I netted it out (fairly easily which shows just how close to death it was, they're usually impossible to catch) and placed him with my green spotted puffers. I half expected them to finish him off. But a day or two later (and still in tatters) it was terrorizing my puffers and wouldn't let them eat. It eventually got relocated into the tank containing the neon velvet. The other two seem to have paired up and are still in my reef tank, playing by the rules and doing fine. The above pic is the exhiled one in the fish only tank.

Female Blue Damsel

This damsel proved to be a pain in my reef tank as it would dig and fan sand all over my corals, and knock over or knock down any new corals that I added to the tank. I didn't want to tear my tank apart again to extract it so I figured maybe some distractions would help curb its undesired behavior. "Distractions" came in the form of adding:

Male Blue Devil

and

Two Stripe Damsel

The blue devil proved to be an effective distraction in curbing digging and sand fanning but introduced other problems. The blue devil lived up to its name and would tenaciously nip and bite me whenever I did tank maintenance or added new corals or whatever. It couldn't draw blood but it was definately annoying (going for the outside skin on my finger just below the knuckle, where rings are typically bound around). It also drove my pair of azure's and my royal gramma into hiding to the point I forgot they were in the tank.

The 2-stripe damsel, was perhaps the smallest fish in the tank but the most aggressive damsel of them all. I had no problem with it other than it would aggressively pick the food out of my suncorals the day after I fed them, it was getting to the point where he had to go because the polyps were no longer extending due to his abuse.

Using a trap, I extracted the blues and the two stripe. Sadly, the 2 stripe jumped out of his new home last week (it was giving the blue damsels hell in their new environment). I eventually had to move the blues to the larger fish only tank to make room for this:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136054

Last edited:

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Kay Bee thanks for that wonderful post. Your blue devil is magnificent!

I was at one of the fish stores today asking about the snowflake damsel. They said I could probably get one if I let them know.

I'm not to concerned about reef tank, just want a nice active interesting tank. I have and most likely will have different algeas. I received a small piece of grape or bubble stem like with little grapes, on a piece of rock. Well guess who started to pick on it LOL.

I put more light on the tank yesterday to help the coraline grow for my urchin, and since then, Grettal has been more aggressive. I'm not going to give in to the feeding thing now that you mentioned that. I almost did, I fed a little to coax her out of hiding, and so now she has those little tantrums so to speak.

I just started seeing if either will eat from my hand, but no luck so far. When I was doing that, the song "Blue Velvet" was running through my head. I had a mental picture of this Damsel being all friendly and swimming playing etc while my hand was in the tank. Would make a great video huh?

Sorry to hear about the 2 stripe.

I'm thinking now, after I add the sculptures, of moving the yellow damsel to the main tank. But I kindof like it in the quarantine tank plus if I do move it, I can't really see getting the snowflake damsel, as they would soon outgrow my tank.

OMG, Changdrix, I was looking for a pic of an electric blue and ran across this site http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184807

Seems I see the damsels everywhere :eek: even in tanks so elaborate I can only drewl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store