the infamous 5 gallon diy canister filter. can it be done????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
I have been messing around with different ideas to build a 5g can filter off and on for a while. I just recently came across this company that sells these "Gamma Seal" lids for different size buckets. here is a short vid of what im talking about [YT]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNb3TE8z9EU&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNb3TE8z9EU&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/YT]
was going to call the company to see if they ever did any pressure testing on the design. If it seals as good as they say and can withstand pressure then i think it would be a great addition to the DIY 5g canister filter.

Would like to see some pics and updates of your DIY project.
few more pics to come tonight but i have to run to the store to pick up sum pipe. and i had considered using the new lids but i have read on many other forums and on this one that the regular 5 gallon bucket canister filter couldnt be done so im here to put that to the test. i say you can do any thing if you have enough time and money. lol

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
day 2

i have been running around doing my Honey do list but still found a little time to work on the project.
IMG_8791.JPG
started with sum egg crate to provide a empty space for the sump. then cut sum pvc for the crate to sit on.
IMG_8792.JPG
IMG_8793.JPG
IMG_8794.JPG
the hole in the pvc will be the channel for the wire and the connecting hose for the pump.
IMG_8796.JPG
IMG_8797.JPG
IMG_8798.JPG
and thats about all you get till tomorrow. i purchased sum medium rock small rock, sand, blue filter media, and polly filling. after i get the rest of the hose and fittings tomorrow i should be able to work on it some more.

IMG_8791.JPG IMG_8792.JPG IMG_8793.JPG IMG_8794.JPG IMG_8796.JPG IMG_8797.JPG IMG_8798.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I love your little helper! She's so cute :p:

Good luck with your project!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I would deffinately pressure test it before I went ahead and spent time on the egg crate, filter medium, et all. It's gonna leak if it is below tank level, it may not leak at first, but it will leak, unless this is something far different than your typical 5 gallon buck seal at the lid.......... and please, reformat the pictures ;)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i'm not interested in taking sides here. i would like to know how many of the naysayers have gone through the trouble of adding all the hooks on the top that the op has. i mean i do see how this could fail... BUT i also see how it could work.

and what's wrong with the pictures? they show up quite fine for me.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
No criticism from me, I'm just relating what I found out using a proportionally smaller, thicker and therefore stronger canister, and it had a built in silicone O-ring. It worked great on a stool 7" below the tank water line for as long as I ran it for months, but not under the tank not even 1/2 way under.
Doing it again I would use rigid, non pliable, water proof, re-enforced container with O-ring compression seal. Actially Im making one now but I wont post until its been tested, another 2 weeks.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
Just curious, does your lid have a built-in O-ring or gasket and if not what do you plan to use?
i have kept the same regular lid the cheep one. no seal no rubber or anything on the lid. my goal is to build the 5 gallon bucket canister filter with a regular bucket with common parts you can get at a hardware store. you will see later how i installed the lid to keep the lid sealed completely in later pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store