The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chris W

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Lake Ontario, NY
www.nyfalls.com
Congrats on moving the juvies, and thanks for the compliment!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update 14-Feb-2012

Approaching the one month mark for the latest arrivals and all is just perfect. Today I visibly counted (37) babes in the tank. Fat and happy. Zucchini's don't stand a chance. I'm going to start adding an additional slice in there just to ensure everyone partakes...I.e ... the adults. :)

Over in the holding tank, the babes there are doing well too. Think I will hold on to these guys til the end of the month and then find them some homes.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update 05-Mar-2012

Babes have done wonderfully and continue to grow rapidly. Looks like I will have to start moving this batch over next week at the rate they are going. The tank is literally swarming with activity. I'm going to leave one additional male in the tank this time. Let's face it, papa Oto is a bit old now but still having fun. ;P

20% water change with mild gravel vac in all tanks. Will be recharging the CO2 today and adding fresh zucchini.

I have finally decided to split up the Macros. I've been saying it for a long time but giong to pull the trigger this time. It will probably be tomorrow when I get around to it. The ladies are just so plump and they are really trying to keep the guys' attention. :) Maybe with one gentleman in the tank, things will change.

Nothing new on the Cocama front. They remain active and doing well. Just no sign of a spawn. I need to tweak the scape in their tank just a bit too.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Do you think the layout of the plants and algae/moss wall in the tank have anything to do with your successful spawns?
Based on other tanks, I would have to say that they don't play a factor in it.

Glad you're finally moving those "idiot boys" away from each other, I think they're a bad influence on each other...poor girls.
Yeah, I really hated to break them up but felt it was necessary. I left the biggest lady and one guy in that tank. All the others were moved out to a bigger tank.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update 06-Mar-2012

Came home to a pleasant and very unexpected surprise today. No...nothing with the Cocama's. :)

While checking in on the juvie Vittatus, I found a wiggler on the front glass. Closer look and I found a total of (4)! Did not expect this at all. There were no tell tale signs and the tank has been too active for a viable spawn. I never saw any eggs either. Which such a small amount of fry, this spawn had to be very small. A lead up to a bigger one in the coming days. Kewless.

Checked in on the Macros and all seem to be doing well. I need to get a few more after splitting up the boys and putting them in a different tank. Might just get a female and throw in there with them so they don't feel too left out.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Been a spell since I've updated. Time for the younguns to move out. :) In the process of moving them and finding new homes. Did a partial trim on their tank. Think I overly hacked the aquatic Kudzoo (Subwassertang). I didn't feel like removing the wall this time to trim it. It's not too bad but.....

Ladies are showing signs that they are ready but there is too much activity in the tank with the wee ones. I'm expecting a new spawn any day now.

Unfortunately, nothing new to report on the Cocama's or Macrosphilus.

O. Flexilis and O. Mimulus are still on me hit list so if anyone has any leads, certainly drop me a line.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I was just wondering if you think it will be easier to spawn ottos with the fish born in your tank? I;ve heard tank born fish spawned easier than wild caught.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I've had two people report spawns from the ones they have gotten from me. I even get spawns in me holding tank from time to time. I don't know about ease due to captive v. wild though.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store