The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of Quarantine-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
you mentioned the spousal/significant other "excuse" some give for not having a QT tank -- i congradulate you if you have a significant other who adores your hobby, but the "one tank" spousal rule applies to many of us. unfortunately, declaring "it's not really another tank, it's on the same stand, and it's small, and it's only temporary, and it's really just a big tupperwear dish" doesn't fly with everyone's families.

and an interior closet space seems optimal to most, but those of us in a small 1bdrm apartment don't have the closet space to spare.

that being said, anyone who can, i encourage you to use a QT tank. but for those who can't; i hear you.

chrisinha

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
brooklyn, ny
great article, harlock!
i just have one question... can i leave the qt tank running, even without fish or the benefitial bacteria would die? or maybe i can out my nasty pond snails in there? :rolleyes:

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
If there are no fish in the tank, and you don't anticipate any new arrivals for at least three days, and if the tank is truly cycled, then you could always add a few drops of ammonia per week to keep the bacteria fed.

Am I correct in saying that some light over the tank will help to keep other beneficial micro-organisms alive?

chrisinha

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
brooklyn, ny
well, "truly clycled" is a good point. i just set it up using the filter media from my goldfish tank (actually i had three HOB filter running in there, so i moved one to the QT tank). How can I know if it's cycled?

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
chrisinha said:
well, "truly clycled" is a good point. i just set it up using the filter media from my goldfish tank (actually i had three HOB filter running in there, so i moved one to the QT tank). How can I know if it's cycled?
Do you have a test kit? When the Ammonia and nitrite levels read '0' after both have peaked, you are good to go.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Keep the ammonia at 5ppm (without fish) until the ammonia & nitrite levels taper off to 0. Don't forget to test before adding ammonia.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Give it an ammonia challenge. 2-3ppm will do. If cleared in 24 hours of detectable ammonia and nitrite, you are good to go. That is my standard test when I set a "new" tank with an established filter from another tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store