The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of Quarantine-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MMarr

Lost Soul In His Domain...
May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Ok, i'm sorry for being ignorant, but what exactly do u mean when you say "media"? do you mean take out the gunk from the sponge and throw it into the tank, or do you mean take the sponge from your community tank and insert it into your q-tank, and put the spare sponge in the community? sorry! :S

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Filter media is whatever substance that you put in your filter, be it sponge, foam, floss, plastic balls, beads, ceramic structures, rock...etc.

"Mature" or "seeded" media is that which has been in your filter long enough to be colonized by nitrifying bacterial colonies.

There's nothing ignorant about asking questions, in fact it's rather quite the opposite.

MMarr

May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Ok, so I have 3 filter medias, sponge, beads and a bag of rocks. If i was to get a quarantine tank (which i should) do I switch all of them, or the one closest to the bottom?

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
It doesn't really matter what you switch. Any of the medias inserted into your new filter will work. Media is what the filter uses to culture bacteria. (Ceramics, bioballs, sponges, floss..for example) What I have done is, take a sponge from the new filter and put it in my old filter then, take an old sponge from my present filter and put it in the new one. New tank cycled in a couple days. You can do the same with rings, noodles, bioballs, whaterver as long as you can fit it to the filter you intend to cycle. It doesn't necessarily have to come from the bottom of the filter. In my canister filter, I'll remove part of my fiberfill floss and replace with new floss. The old floss I remove is full of beneficial bacteria and great to start up new filters. I feel bad when I throw the stuff out each canister cleaning time. I've started up tanks, fully cycling in less than a week by doing the above.

Last edited:

MMarr

May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Wow! That's crazy that you can cycle a tank so quickly, just by switching media. Anyways, thanks alot for the info!

MMarr

May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
lol thank you swimfins!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store