The Widow's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
This is a black widow bite. Not that major in most cases its like a normal spider bite. Its only when you have an allergic reaction, poor immune system (sick, young, elderly) or your body just doesn't do well against venom then it can be severe pain that your in for but no fear of losing a limb.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yes I open the lid to feed them but they dont jump also the container is to slick inside for it to reach the top. Another thing is I keep an eye on where it is before I open the container. Like I stated earlier handling them is like handling my knives. Use caution and have respect for them. Yea if your careless then yeah your gonna get hurt.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i always feel like the spiders are crawling on me after i see one. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I am being safe and thanks.

Yea I only feel like there crawling on me when well there crawling on me like when im working on the yard lol.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
To think a spider like this can cause this or worse.

That makes my leg hurt just looking at it, appears that this is the same place that I was bitten and that is what my leg looked like. It took about 6 months before I didn't limp when I walked from the bite. VERY NASTY LITTLE CREATURES!!!

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I would never keep spiders but as long as theyre outside then they are beneficial to me with my fight against pests. Inside is another ball game. If the wife sees it then theres no chance it will live. I try to send them off outside if I can but I wont go out of my way to get it out of the house. Ticks freak me out more than anything. Carry disease, wanting to feed on you, bites take ages to heal. Thats my bug a boo.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Lived in a couple places infested with recluses. It certainly caused you to be proactive about things...no sticking hands behind boards in the garage that had been in place for a few months. Laundry got put away immediately, shoes were knocked empty before being put on.

Biggest one I saw was about fifty cent piece. More common were the "quarter" sized ones.

Never bitten though.

There was a study done out of the Universtiy of Kansas. They crawled around some of the old limestone farm houses out in the country. Not sure if anyone has ever seen one of these, but they are marvels of ingenuity. The places stay wonderfully cool in the summer. They discovered hundreds, if not thousands of recluses living in some of these places, however the number of bites was incredibly small. Some of these places had been within the same family for generations and the family histories had very few incidences of recluse bite.

What they determined is that you really have to try to get bitten by one of these things and that the "reports" of recluse bites out there are probably erroneously attributed to browns. They particularly pointed to several medical reports out of the Pacific Northwest that were labeled as recluse bites. As the PNW is well outside the normal stomping grounds of the brown (too wet, too cold), they were probably more likely caused by the hobo spider.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are definitely other NA spiders that give similar symptoms to a Recluse bite. I was bitten wiping away a web across a trail in the woods, certainly not Recluse habitat, and received a bite which caused a necrotic lesion the size of a quarter to form on my forearm. It did heal quickly and completely however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store