Theraps guttulatum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/lent.jpg <- Theraps lentiginosus
http://azumanettaigyo.com/02tsuhan/...ican_Cichlid_image/veizya-guttora-tamu500.jpg <- Vieja Guttulatum

I'm sorry I saw some similarities and never compared photos. With out a doubt vieja guttulatum, I saw the markings on the photos from pitt and the vertical and horzital stripes reminded me of my lentiginosus.

LOL its ok when I saw the markings I though bout stripes which made me think Tilapia buttikoferi but then discovered I was wrong :hitting:. You made such a amature mistake going on color alone to try to ID a fish. Its ok I make mistakes to but had to get you for this obvious foul up. Its ok your still my friend. :thumbsup:

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Well it wasn't really color both fish have some what of the same color at this age it was the body type with the markings that got me.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah when i first googled this species it came up as Vieja cool thanks for the help the female is digging quite a bit..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Week two updates

So far this pair is doing nice normal male chasing his female so hopefully they will spawn for me soon..

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 009.JPG

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Wow nice setup Mike. They look cool all up in the rocks. Looks natural unlike my tanks specially since mine are all bare bottom tanks.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks GEV i was wondering why you do not use substrate i am just being nosey is all..

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Your setup looks great! I love it very natural looking. I kind of wish I had a smaller substrate then I do now, the pool samd is actually quite large.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Oh reason is cuz its alot easier to clean when I do water changes then it is when I had gravel. My old setup had medium size pea gravel which I liked back then but it was a pain to clean. Not only that but I didnt like the giant mounds my Jag use to leave so with the loisellei's once I saw the female starting to dig I decided to do away with it.

I know it doesnt look natural bare bottom and either does pea gravel since alot of places its sand not gravel but it is way easier to clean. Sand is cool but I dont like hovering over the sand to clean it and I wasnt to happy when the fish kicked up sand into the filter making my filter extremely noisy.

Just my personal preference right now. I have been thinking of doing black gravel for my pleco's. Loved how the black sand looked in my 20H tank but well didnt like the clean up like stated earlier. I dont care for white sand make the fish look more faded out.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Dam i wish you were closer to me i have about 4 5gal buckets full of black gravel but i am probably going to start to use pea size gravel i bought a large bag of it at Home Depot for a little over 3 bucks..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store