There's a Baby ???? Fish in My Tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
So many different ideas on what it could be! My boyfriend believes that it's a puffermolly! =P Hehe!

AquatiCreations
- The babies tend to hide really, really, really well. As far as the swimming goes: in comparison to the other baby mollies that inhabit the tank, the little brown ones tend to stay at the bottom, just chilling. When the baby mollies were first born, they were all at the top of the waterline, and hiding behind the filter. So, there's an obvious difference in baby behavior.

wildman117 - Suppose the babies are mollies - do you know if the baby dalmatians are born with brown colorings and then they grow into dalmatian markings? I thought that live bearers gave birth to their babies "as are".

There are so many good reasons to believe that it is and it is not a molly/puffer, but again, I suppose only time will tell. The babies are growing quite fast, and I will keep posting pictures as they get older. As I can tell right now, the babies' markings are getting much more defined and they're getting much bigger. Perhaps I will take some photos this evening after the Memorial Day picnic.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I have a few baby dalmatian mollies in my tank and they vary in color;some a quite dark and appear to have stripes and others are marbled; they often lay on the sand at the bottom of the tank and sometomes will linger around the top.......I would guess molly due to the fins and the mouth. My babies also look like they have bug eyes right now; I guess their bodies will catch up to them soon as they are growing fast.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
:rofl: Puffermolly! hmmmm, very odd indeed. You havent seen any fin movements?

wildman117

AC Members
May 13, 2008
D-M-V
my dalmatian molly fry are often born with diffrent patterns from their adult form and they have been a little of color but i have not seen them be brown
how long have you had them one of them could have been impregnated before you got them by a brown molly

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
its a molly, you can see the scales in the 4th pic down. i've seen a lot of baby mollies look like that.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Haven't gotten a chance to take some photos of the babies - however, the more I look at them, the more they seem like mollies. I'm really, really, unsure of how and who gave birth to them. Hehe!

The mollies that I have in the tank are two males and one female (female is the black molly, males are dalmatian and white mollies). I've only had these mollies for a little over a month. The black molly gave birth to the black molly babies just 2 weeks ago. Is it remotely possible that the black molly gave birth twice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store