There's a Baby ???? Fish in My Tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Updates!

Strangely, the black molly passed. I'm not sure what happened or if perhaps the birthing of the babies somehow contributed to her untimely death. But, I have 6 babies to carry on her legend. =)

The babies have grown a little bit.....okay, well, not really. They seem to still be really small. However, I've been able to capture some more pictures of them.

Pic 1: Baby #1 - Clearly, you can see the scales, so that definitely points to "not a puffer". Unless puffers are born with scales and outgrow them with age? I can't seem to find ANY pictures of baby puffer/puffer fry or any information regarding the maturation of figure-8 puffers.
Pic 2: Baby #1 - Still very light in color, no markings on this baby.
Pic 3: Baby #2 - again with the scales. The mouth definitely points to surface feeder = Molly.
Pic 4: Baby #2 - (Kinda fuzzy, sorry) I don't know, but the markings look so much like a figure-8 puffer pattern.

Again, I will keep up with the pictures and perhaps someday I will know for absolute sure!

DSCN2405.JPG DSCN2410.JPG DSCN2419.JPG DSCN2427.JPG

Last edited:

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Managed to grab a few more photos:

Pic 1: Baby Black Molly and a Bumble Bee Goby (just for the sake of size comparison)
Pic 2: You can see that the dorsal fins of this baby (baby #2 in previous post) is differently shaped than the one of the baby molly.

Will keep posting.

DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2450.JPG

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
puffy fry, f8's i know for sure, are much more defined and well puffer looking, they look like perfect replica's just shrunk. The petstore i used to work at got in fry f8's and they were no more then a cm and just looked like mini-f8. def a molly you got there

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
When my mollies breed, it sometimes took a mont or so before the fry really took on their adult coloring. I don't see why the dorsal fin on that baby looks different than a molly?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Wow...I totally forgot about this thread and just assumed that it was closed. My bad!

Definitely not a puffer. The scales definitely gave it away. Surely it was a dalmatian molly!

Thanks for asking, though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store