Things customers told you that you knew weren't true

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
i don't work in a petstore but i have a story for you...i was at Pet supply plus one day after work to buy a couple of goldfish (orandas). there were these 2 oriental ladies there as well . i guess they were waiting for somebody to help them.the one older lady pointed to some shubunkins and told me in their contry people eat those kind of fish..and at that time an employee asked the ladies if she could help them and theyb said they wanted 4 of those same fish..i asked the lady if she was buying them for pets . she said no they were going to EAT THEM!!!!!!!!! poor fish..cause they were so beautiful...
and tasty!!!

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
You know, I find it puzzling sometimes when persons decide on what they think is the best way to keep a certain fish.

I run the fish department at a family owned pet shop. Unfortunately, my boss and I do not see eye to eye on many things, but there is not much I can do about it. We can not refuse a sale, it's store policy that a person should only wait 24 hours before adding fish to a newly set-up tank and the worst one would be no euthanasia of severely damaged fish.

Now, since you know that I'll tell you a little story. We sell feeder Comets for 79 cents so they go pretty quickly and get put in some of the worst set-ups (from what I've seen and heard). A day that I was off a lady bought four 1.5 inch Comets to put in a half gallon "tank" with no filtration, no air pump, not even gravel. She comes back the very next day with 2 dead fish in it and 2 surprisingly still swimming around and she asks for a refund or replacements. When I looked over, I laughed and said "Those fish were sure to die the second you put them in there. They are high waste producers and need much more water to live in." Unfortunately, I couldn't be specific on numbers considering my boss has cameras with mics and listens to every word I say. He disagrees that Comets need to be in ponds or at least a 75 gallon tank. Anyways, I was so shocked on this persons ignorance and was very angry with whomever decided to sell these fish to her.

I do everything I can to get a customer to get something as close to "an okay set-up" as possible. The Bettas have to be the worst ones, being put in the same sized cups that they live in at the store (about 6 ounces), vases, bowls, little half gallon tanks with no heating or gentle filtration (I'm a 2.5 gal advocate).

People putting KOI in a fricken 55 gallon tank makes me even more disturbed, but since it's been about 4 months since I've started working there, I've learned to try and negotiate with the customers (away from any microphones).

There are so many people who I try to explain the Nitrogen Cycle to who just think of it as babble and go on with their picking and choosing of big fish for their little tanks. Prime example would be a couple who purchased a 6 inch Oscar for a 10 gallon tank. My colleague does everything he can to sell and get a tip and it enfuriates me sometimes. I've fed these fish every day, changed their water, bonded with them and all he does is send them to their grave. At least in my eyes they are going to a much worse place (I'm a real pesimest with this place).

Anyways, thats a few of my stories and a bit of ranting. I don't think I can be a fish department taker carer ofer for ever, especially when I can't control anything that goes on. But hey, money is money and at least I can do my best.

Last edited:

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I'm totally put off by the microphones and cameras in the place. What is the purpose of this? To monitor the employees? To prevent shoplifting? That's just creepy!

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
I'm totally put off by the microphones and cameras in the place. What is the purpose of this? To monitor the employees? To prevent shoplifting? That's just creepy!
It is creepy as the phone lines are jacked as well. I understand that since he doesn't want people on the phone for personal calls all day (even though they are allowed), but otherwise, why??

The cameras are for shoplifters and robberies (they have been robbed quite a few times), but he turns the mic on very loud so you literally have to whisper in someones ear if you don't want the boss to hear. I think he does that because he wants to know anything and everything said to the employees and to the customers.

I intentionally say things that I want done or that I don't like loud and clear just so he knows.

I also wanted to say that, hey I'm still a newbie when it comes to fish owning. I only started up at the end of last year, but what I did and many of us on this site did was read, research and gain knowledge. I started out with a 10 gallon tank with 2 Mollies, 2 Guppies, 2 Tiger barbs and a Common Pleco. Every single one of them has died except for the Pleco that is now 7 inches long, living in my 20 gallon tank. Fortunately for him, I have plans on a 43 gallon that needs sealant repair and that will last him a while until the next, larger tank comes. I did many things wrong, but as soon as I found out about them, I tried to correct it. It didn't work out as planned, but I have Bridgesii growing all in my tank (7 in all). My 10 gallon houses 3 female Guppies that I bought for 50 cents (they are awesome) and 2 baby black Mollies I had to take considering my Aunt has a 5 gallon tank with 1 Mom Molly that gave birth. I couldn't deny her!!!!! :D

So anyways, I might seem like a hypocrite complaining about other peoples ignorance, but to be honest, if I saw myself a year ago doing what I did, I would have slapped myself in the face, but only because it was me...I would have just politely explained it to anyone else. :p

Last edited:

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
"this oscar is going to look great in my 20 gallon"

(this was an employee) Ok 10 ramhorns it is. *reaches into apple snail tank* That'll be 20$"
Me-"Ramhorns are pest snails and are free, also theyre in the ghost shrimp tank"
Employee-"oh, whoops."

customer"these goldfish are going in my 55 gallon with oto's and other fish that are tropical."
walmart employee- "oh ok, enjoy!"

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
The lack of concern that many people show for a living thing's life is disgusting. I don't know how you guys put up with it. I'd open my big mouth and get fired probably on my first day. Besides the sheer stupidity, the cruelness is what really scares me. I can't count how many times I've seen children smack aquariums with their fist as hard as they can to scare the fish. And I say something about it every time.

Tonalea

AC Members
Oct 23, 2009
Oklahoma
Ah the joys of working in aquatics!!

"I cleaned my tank last night and now one of my fish is dying." "How did you clean it?" "I took it everything out, rinsed my gravel in tap water without chemicals, and filled it back up."

"Oh! Look at these!" *points to glofish* "I think they're called," *looks at tags* "bamboo sticks!"

"I have eight goldfish in a three gallon. Last night my son dumped the entire bottle of fish food in there. What should I do?"

"I'm not worried about it getting too big, they never live that long anyway." <- Common Pleco

"I want one of these." *points to Damsels* "Can they live in a bowl?"

"My son wants a Nemo fish, what do I need to do?"

"I need five of these yellow fish," *points to African Cichlids* "What size tank do you have?" "Ten gallon." "No."

I get really tired of telling people they can't have fish sometimes. I'd probably be fired if my company knew how often I convince people not to buy fish or useless chemicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store