Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
So not an issue? Do small aiptasia have the long stems like the bigger ones do?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep those are dusters and the starfish is an asterina. It will not get much bigger than that and you either already have more or you will soon :).

The tube is another duster casing.

Aptasia can stretch or shrink their foot when the want/need too. Size makes no difference.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Cool, im glad I don't have anything bad yet lol. I'll still be keeping a close eye out for anything. :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have the same kind of feather duster, they are a slow but unstoppable force of nature in my tank. A good force of nature, like summer rain, not a bad one like the dreaded aiptasia (which is a tornado of destruction). Glad you don't have it (yet)!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Is there any difference between a fw and sw ammonia test kit? I have a fw master kit, the nitrite test worked fine, but the ammonia test hasnt changed color, and doesn't look like the solution has mixed even with thorough shaking. My nitrite test was .5 ppm. Any ideas?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I am pretty sure they are the same test kit. Maybe the kit is old/expired?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I bought it not quite a year ago I believe. And maybe used it once lol. I let it sit for a while and I looked at it later, it looked like the test solution was sitting at the top and the water was on the bottom. I'll probably get another kit.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Is it an API test kit? The API ammonia test kits are the same exact thing, the only difference is the color chart. SW starts out as more of a gold color and FW starts as yellow.

I'm not 100% sure on how long it takes for the kits to expire. I've got some old ammonia and nitrite tests that work fine, but all my nitrate kits suddenly started measuring off the scale a couple months ago. I think API claims the kits last years, but personally I think it becomes a toss up after about a year on whether they'll accurately measure or not.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I believe it's a red sea kit. It never changed color at all. Maybe the test solution is bad, but I would imagine it would work in both fresh and salt.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Well, three days away from the tank, and a lot has changed. Diatom algae everywhere, which I can see has happening since its a new tank, but I have green hair algae too. I'm not sure if I should let it go or do something about it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store