This might start some contraversy but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Interesting. Got any pics? Damsels are known to be aggressive SW fish, but how has the pecking order worked its way out with your cichlids? If someone else were to do this, it seems like it would make more sense to do this with african cichlids who already have hard water with a bit of salt in it.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
the guy didn't come here to make friends, apparently :huh:

i think he knew what a sh*tstorm this would cause. if he was truly just curious, he would have done it in privacy and not told anyone about it. chalked it up as a failed learning experiment.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
managuay86 said:
I did it I actually hav a blue damsel and cichlids living together! I started to add a little bit of marine salt to my aquarium with my smaller cichlids everyday for the past 2 months and once the salinity level reached 1.016 i decided to add a damsel 3 weeks ago and it is still doing fine and what amazes me is that now I have two red devils, a jack dempsey, and a texes living with a blue damsel! They seem to be thriving and they all have healthy appetites. tell me what you think...
You probably aren't even smart enough to know that almost all saltwater fish are wild caught, so I just told you. I have to agree with everyone else, that is the stupidist thing you could have done to an animal, even stupider than keeping a goldfish in a bowl IMO.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Why flame the guy. What if it does work?

Whoever thought of putting fish in a glass tank probably got flamed too.

He has only made that 1 post on the subject, Let him explain his side then flame him.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
IceH2O said:
Why flame the guy. What if it does work?

Whoever thought of putting fish in a glass tank probably got flamed too.

He has only made that 1 post on the subject, Let him explain his side then flame him.
He's not the first person to do this. Read the species profile for the blue devil damsel in the Ines fishbook for proof of it. But, regardless if the fish will survive, it WILL NOT THRIVE, and it will if you were to go throuugh with the rather cheap addition of marine salt to a basic 10g tropical starter kit (No more than $75-100 total in most cases), so it is completely wrong and inhumane IMHO.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
from another of your posts...

quick question... when you "expert hobbiests" give advice is it coming from the text books, personal experience, or what YOU think is right? Has anyone actually went to school or is going to school to actually study fish and fish behavior. I know when I do give advise which is rare because i want people to learn from their own mistakes which sounds terrible yes, but every single hobbiest has lost some fish when they started out if you say you have never lost a single fish then that is a bold faced lie! Anyway When I give advice it is coming from what my professors at my university are teaching me and from my experiences with fish. I only started to get into the hobby when i was 13 which was 7 years ago. I may not be old but i am wise and i know what i am doing.

This can be found in...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78567&page=2&pp=15

Sorry...no, take that back..i am not. You just plain do not care what you are doing and writing it off as okay, all in hopes of impressing somebody or for the sake of "learning".
Or would it be to impress the professors?

Sumthin fishy...thanks for passing the baton..

Managuay...tell you what I think...get your head out of your a**. You may be not be old but you are nothing but a dumba**, and definitely do not know what you are doing.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
:laugh: OMG i NEVER thought I would get so much hate mail... ok you No matter how much I try to explain my case no body will listen becuz everybody is to narrowheaded to understand. My cause for this experiment... to see if a freshwater fish and salwaterfish can coexist with each other, nothing more nothing less. So far they are doing great, I also picked a damsel they are probably the only saltwater fish that has almost the same habits and aggression as new world cichlids. And I know the difference between LIVING and THRIVING and I can definitly say they are not just living. I also have a video of my fish and for those who say im "playing god" well Im a full blooded christian but im also open-minded anyway enough of that.. and if i dont have compassion for a living thing... WELL IM ALSO A FISHERMAN AND CATCHING AND KILLING AND EATING FISH IS KINDA A NORMAL THING FOR ME AND MOST OF MY FRENDS. before anyone can say it... NO I WILL NOT JUST EAT MY PET FISH I CANT EAT MY PETS. anyway thank you for your feedback.

p.s. for the few ppl that were open minded on this subject THANK YOU FOR NOT BEING IGNORANT!!!!!!!! ;)

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
This "experiment" Lacks anything of a scientific manner. Your blatent disregard for the wellbeing of creatures under your care is astounding. None of the fish listed can tolerate SW BW conditions for very long, even the damsel will not survive even being close to 1.022 Gravity. This is a pathetic attempt to call cruelty to animals an Experiment. If you were studying for a marine-biology class or an Ichtheology course and I were the professor I would Give this project an F, not because of the the idea but for the sheer Disreguard for a living creature.. you do deserve any hatemail you get.

Jadis

AC Members
Jul 24, 2005
portland, OR
i think my problem lies in the word "experiment"
fair enough if you want to prove that salt water and fresh can co-exist. but what testing are you doing daily to prove they are thriving, rather than just existing. gut feeling is not scientific. are you taking down daily notes to create some sort of research project?
seriously, what is all this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store