Tiger barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
Would a school of tiger barbs do well in a tank of danios, mollies and swordtails?

I am about to do some major overhauling on tank sizes ect and I am pondering either moving everything in my 29g to a 55g and adding some tiger barbs or just using it as an excuse to keep the 29 and start over with a 55 as well. :D

I am also setting up a 75g oscar tank. Ive got tank fever. :lol:

My 29g currently has 3 mollies, 1 male swordtail, 6 danios, 1 bristle nose pleco and 900,000,000 tiny snails whom are food for my baby oscar in another tank.

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
yeah thats what I meant. I would like to move everything in the 29 to a 55. My thought was to use the 29 to build a sump for the new oscar tank. I really do like the look of the tiger barbs though.

How many tiger barbs could I put in a 55g with just them and maybe some shrimp if I chose to start a new tank?

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Unless this tank will be heavily planted, don't expect to see active, proliferating shrimp. Don't keep less than 8 Tigers.

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
Shrimp getting eaten is half the fun. :D I put 10 ghost shrimp in my 29 when I first started it and all but 3 of the ornery little buggers got eaten. They earned their right to live in peace in my fry tank.

Ok so just as a thought... a planted 55g with 12 tiger barbs and some ghost shrimp or maybe instead of ghost shrimp could I get away with 6 or so cory cats?

Sorry for so many questions and brainstorming, DH said as a late christmas gift I could use a good portion of our tax return on the fish. :D

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Tiger barbs are neat. I'm thinking of setting up a species tank of them in a 40B. I think they'd do fine with danios, which are equally active. In fact, you might get dizzy watching a tank with those two species in it. :hypnotized:

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
I agree a good size group of tigers in a 55g are very entertaining to watch.

On a side note, if you haven't bought the tank for the oscar you are considering yet I would consider something larger than a 75g. yes you can keep a single oscar in a 75, but the more room you can give it, the healthier it will be. Also, if you go up to a 125 or larger you could keep a pair or find some other tank mate for him... never was a fan of keeping a single fish in a tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store