tiny brackish top feeders?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I've seen the glassfish often in NY, usually at Asian-owned stores. Unfortunately, all of them are dyed.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
what kind of inverts are you doing?

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
even though I'll have a beach like set up, I am not considering mudskippers because I know they are too large for the tank. (the tank is a 15 g, with 10g of water..)

aclimation won't be a problem, as I am starting the tank freshwater and going to transition to brackish over a month. it will be very mildly brackish, just enough for the inverts to have what they need. BBgobies are really attractive to me, but with inverts I'll end up with a tank full of bottom dwellers hiding all the time. I may go with just glass fish, but haven't even seen them locally. I guess I could get 1 guppy, but I'm not interested in breeding them. if any breeding happens in this tank, it will be amanos.
Amanos are FW. Their babies float down the stream to brackish areas and develop, then when they are strong enough return to FW.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah, I'm confident that the amanos will do alright, from what I've read. The tank will also house 1 or 2 (I only have 1 now) red claw crabs. in fact, the only reason the tank is brackish is for the one **** crab.... but I like them a lot. I've had no problems with the crab chasing amanos in my fw tank, in fact the crab seems to coexist with everything just fine.

I would prefer a non-dyed glass fish, but if it were dyed, it wouldn't stop me, unless I had a non-dyed option available. I think I saw one yesterday at a chain store, that had a blueish stripe on it, very faint... but there were no lables for that fish, and no one knew what it was...

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I've kept amanos in brackish myself, with fiddler crabs. Do add them (if you haven't already) while your tank is still freshwater.

As for glassfish, the one place that always seems to have them is Aquarium Gallery on Avenue U. Though most Asian-owned stores seem to stock them regularly for some reason. Another fish that's dyed with a stripe is the Black Widow, but you can easily tell them apart as the glassfish is transparent.

janfow365

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
I think one great option would be sailfin mollies. They are truely beautiful creatures, and when they get acustom to your tank, they will eat from the surface. They swim in all the water... not particularly top, middle, or bottom. They also breed fairly easily... and the babies are well worth raising, if you have the space needed.

Mollies, as most livebearers, can adjust well to brackish tanks. My tank is fully brackish, and they are thriving. I just feed mine freeze dried shrimp (the babies too, I powder it between my fingers), and they're doing just dandy.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Thought I'd also give you address in case you didn't know it - 1314 Avenue U.

Sailfin mollies are indeed beautiful, and brackish as well, but are too big for a 10g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store