tiny brackish top feeders?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheXman

Rainbow Nut
Jun 11, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Most rainbowfish are freshwater, not brackish fish. However, Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis are brackish rainbows (blue-eyes to be more specific) and very pretty little fish, if you can find them.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
There is a number of brackish rainbowfish once you start looking into it, as well as freshwater species (such as bosemani) that can be acclimated to brackish.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
so, checked out Aquarium Gallery on avenue U... they had painted glassfish, but they were pretty large and really pink and teel. ugh. they had a few nice fish, but for the most part not as impressive a store as 65th and 8th ave or Pacific on delancy... neither of which had glass fish either.

no one was selling any decent java moss either. 65th street had about 6 tons of brown algae ridden moss, that I didn't want, and Pacific had none for sale..

what gives on the java moss front? :)

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
65th and 8th? I don't go there often, but they don't seem too impressive to me. They always had this saltwater graveyard in the back and a dog chained in the middle.

Java moss seems a bit seasonal. I get mine at Petco believe it or not. It's $1.99 a bag, but I have no idea when and how often they restock.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
here's a link to the tank I'm talking about. it came mostly together tonight.

yeah, painted glass fish are only a last resort. I have no shortage of fish to occupy the tank before I start brackishinating... cherry barbs will be the first, besides the crab of course. the barbs will come out in a few weeks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Even as a last resort, don't buy them & support such a horrid practice. Nevermind, their high rate of disease-low rate of survival.
See: http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

TheXman

Rainbow Nut
Jun 11, 2007
San Jose, Ca
There is a number of brackish rainbowfish once you start looking into it, as well as freshwater species (such as bosemani) that can be acclimated to brackish.
Don't do that to a freshwater rainbow like a bosemani. Yes, they might survive because they're tough fish, but they won't do as well and their colors won't be good. Almost all rainbows that you can find available are freshwater, and should stay that way. And it's not just me that is saying this. The world renowned fish discoverer and rainbow expert Heiko Bleher himself made this point very clearly on a rainbowfish forum a few months ago. Bleher is the one that discovered and brought the first praecox rainbows, Bleher's rainbows, turquoise rainbows and many others from the wild. If you have one of these rainbows, it's likely a descendant of the fish he brought back as very few other people have been able to successfully bring live rainbows out of the wild jungles of New Guinea. There are a few brackish rainbows, mostly blue eyes species like P. cyanodorsalis, but not many.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Yes, rainbows like bosemani are freshwater and ideally should be kept that way, but they won't suffer any damage when kept in brackish as long as you keep the rest of the water parameters ideal, in the same sense as mollies and brackish BBGs in freshwater.

Though it wouldn't matter, we've found that the OP's tank is 10g anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store