Tiny Freshwater Fish-Discussion Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
A ten gallon for a reef tank would definitely be considered a nano. There is a poll on another forum that asks people what they consider a fresh water nano to be, and 91% chose 10 gallons or less (47 people voted). IMO, I think that 10 gallons would qualify as a nano for fresh or salt water. Either way, good list!

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Perhaps there should be a poll on this forum, lol. Thanks for the input!

I sort of want to post the list on MFK, anybody think this is a good idea? I have this feeling where I'll be eaten alive..

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Perhaps there should be a poll on this forum, lol. Thanks for the input!

I sort of want to post the list on MFK, anybody think this is a good idea? I have this feeling where I'll be eaten alive..
LOL..They don't usually talk about small community fish. Go ahead if you like.;)

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
See, that's also the thing, you have MFK, geared towards huge monster fish, and you have AC, which isn't particularly geared towards tiny setups. While bigger is usually better in most ways, there are plenty of fish on this list which would be more than fine in a smaller setup and/or would get eaten in a larger community. I'm not experienced nor hardcore enough to go off and really do something about it but I think having that perspective would be a good thing for the fishkeeping hobby, y'know?

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Darters generally prefer cooler, fast-flowing water. I don't see them as being suitable for a nano tank. Incidentally, what size tank are we considering here?
All my suggestions were made with a 10 gallon tank in mind. I wouldn't keep darters in anything much smaller (maybe one of those bookshelf 6.6 gallon tanks). Incidentally, many folks have had success with even dedicated riffle darters in room temperature tanks, so long as the water is highly oxygenated. There are also some darters that like warm lentic environments, including swamp, cypress, and slough darters.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
i think there should be a clear division of which fish are ok for what sized tank, along with a discription of what the approximate dimensions would be(for instance there is a big difference between a regular squarish 1g and deathco's 12" tall 1g) that way people don't assume that say platies would be ok in a 2.5g nano because they're on the list.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It's too late to change the name of the threads, though I guess I could PM a mod. You think it's worth it?

Btw, thanks Marinemom and Lupin :)

If you want the title changing, send me a PM with what you want it changing too, and a link to this thread and i'll sort it for you...

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Reefscape: Thanks for the reply, I think I'll do it just to be on the safe side.

Originally I was planning on sorting into subgroups by PH and such, but after looking at some severe contradictions and, in some cases, squabbling, I decided not to. We can all agree these fish will fit in a ten gallon tank and that some have special needs (Noth's comment is why I decided not to put darters under special needs, btw) but whenever anything smaller comes up people start to become highly opinionated. I also have not kept the vast majority of these fish, which would be a prerequisite, since I don't personally have experiences with their temperament. I've left a lot up to the reader because in researching they would, in most cases, be as informed as I am with good research.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store