Tiny Freshwater Fish-Discussion Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Sorry for the succesive posts.

Male C. Irrubesco

Female:

Size of Tetraodon Lorteti is disputed, I have to retract it. Keeping C. Irrubesco in a 10 gal is disputed; My guess would be a high entertainment level/rigorous maintenance would be needed. They grow to 2''.

These are supposed to be hard to find. A post from this forum references this place:

http://www.****************/catalog_pages/puffer_fish/puffer_fish.htm#

Hopefully those are C. Irrubesco.

Last edited:

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
What is your opinion on dwarf loaches and 10 gallons? When I first wrote the list I said nay, but I never asked anyone else's opinion. What do you think? What do you think the maximum size of cory on the list should be?

I would rather keep endangered fish off the list, unless they are being bred in large numbers in captivity. I don't know their status in captivity, but I can't bring myself to put celestial pearl danios on the list after what happened to them.

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What is your opinion on dwarf loaches and 10 gallons? When I first wrote the list I said nay, but I never asked anyone else's opinion. What do you think? What do you think the maximum size of cory on the list should be?
Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki is best kept at 30g minimum. Despite their size, consider their activity levels. They roam the tanks around like a bunch of hyenas so definitely space should be more than adequate.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Here seems like a good one:

Akysis prashadi, who maxes out at 2.5 inches and seems fairly hardy. What a little gem!

Honeycomb Tatia, only 2.4 inches

Can't get any info on whether they like to school or not, however

Last edited:

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Parotocinclus maculicauda, Red fin Dwarf Pleco, False Sucker

2 inches.

Microglanis iheringi

Other similar species are sold-make sure it's the correct common name. 2.2-2.8 inches. One site says no larger than 2.2. Another site which tends to exaggerate sizes says 3.5- I think that is in actuality another species

Otocinclus cocama:

1.2-1.6 inches

Otocinclus mariae is very similar to the commonly sold otto.

This guy should be more common in the aquarium trade:
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=363

My take on things is that if a species does not show up a care page in the first two pages of google, it's not going on the list. You can get some of these other fishes, but they are too rare for this list. Some are very pretty, though.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
So, with the help of the nice people over on planet catfish, we continue our catfish bonanza!
One person suggested that a 4.5 inch fish would be fine for a ten gallon. I don't think I would be comfortable with that unless the fish lay there all day and nothing else. Anyway, I am not wiling to go through the database from 4.5-3 inches(I did go through it for all fish under 3'' besides cories! That was a feat) to find the few who do, so if there are any that are appropriate time will tell.

This little cutey:

is named the Gold-Spot Dwarf Pleco. They grow to 2'' and they are apparently relatively easy to get. The caresheets on google state a PH of 6.4 and a temp of 26 degrees celsius. I'll keep you posted on updated care information. Apparently they are hardy.

In the same genus is this guy:

Common and likes to be kept in in groups. Very peaceful with a large temp and PH range. Can be bred in aquaria and is, for the most part, a vegetarian who won't hurt plants. Grows to 2''.

Apparently Microsynodotis and small synos are common the UK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store