Too many snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Buy loaches if you want to keep loaches, not because you want rid of snails. Loaches typically only do well in groups of six or more. Only having one isn't good for the fish, and probably won't be for you either.

I got some MTS several years ago with a similar result. Got around 100, they blew up and went crazy....and then started to decline. I still have plenty, but they are not nearly as numerous as they used to be.

What is the rest of our stock in the tank? That may help people to give you a better suggestion as to how to manage it. Usually, the lack of food helps slow them down a lot. Over the long term, less than ideal water conditions can do that as well, but that might be rough on your other fish. Snails need to get calcium for their shells. "Low calcium" water over a long period of time may slow their production, but may be rough on your other stock.

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
I only got one because I wanted to be sure they would do ok in my water before i bought a group. But it died so I'm not sure if I'll try it again.

The tank stock is: 6 moba frontosa, 7 burundi frontosa, 2 white comps, 2 black calvus, a few assorted catfish & a common pleco.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Loaches typically only do well in groups of six or more.
Not true, many loaches are fine alone or in smaller groups or trios. IT all depends on the species, being so broad doesn't help anyone.

I only got one because I wanted to be sure they would do ok in my water before i bought a group. But it died so I'm not sure if I'll try it again.

The tank stock is: 6 moba frontosa, 7 burundi frontosa, 2 white comps, 2 black calvus, a few assorted catfish & a common pleco.
Don't try it again, what species of loach was it?

Nakinata

AC Members
Jan 11, 2011
Real Name
Nam
Get a piece of lettuce, add a weight onto it so it doesn't float and leave it on the tank overnight. In the morning, the snails will be on the lettuce and just do whatever you want with the snails then.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Not true, many loaches are fine alone or in smaller groups or trios. IT all depends on the species, being so broad doesn't help anyone.

Hence the usage of the word "typically."

Since you had to ask what kind of loach it was in the same post, we'll both have to assume that broad stroaks are the only kind that apply in the face of no information.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Your water conditions are far from suitable for any botias. I already said it many times loaches and Rift Valley cichlids do NOT mix.

Didn't I give you a link to my article about eliminating snails in MFK? :confused:
Manual removal, lettuce baiting, snail traps, cutting back on food rations...

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Make a shrimp trap (video below) or something similar, and sit it buried in the sand so that the bottom of the entry-hole is just touching the sand. Bait it with whatever you want to...
[YT]Xb_k2Wg9ayI[/YT]

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Didn't I give you a link to my article about eliminating snails in MFK? :confused: Manual removal, lettuce baiting, snail traps, cutting back on food rations...
Yes you did. Good info there. But people have been asking more questions about my original post so I simply answered those questions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store