Twitching Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
If it were my clowns, I would call that stressed...mine rarely go near the sand, but do the occasional wiggle towards eachother. I was told once that maybe the twitching is bc they have larval amphipods on them or something, and are trying to shake them off?

But those are just my clowns...and like everyone has said, they tend to be weird! :)

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I don't think that this is a water quality issue. Coraline growth is setting in. Anything that could hurt a clown, would also kill the coraline, or the angelfish for that matter, who is in excellent condition.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
although I've seen clowns try to use a patch of sand to host in and certainly seen them twitching in various areas of the tank including the top I don't agree that the water parameters are fine just because coraline is is present.

What are your actual water parameters?

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I have seen my clown twitch around the surface when she is looking for food. Its a habit that she has developed ever since I feed flake food that would float on top.

Have you tried to find out what is setting off her twitching? Does she do it around a certain time of the day?

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I haven't seen him for 24 hours. Should I look for him? I know the region of the tank he it hinding in, but I don't want to stress him out any futher.
Oh, clownfish remain male until they can find a mate, then they turn female.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
i'd be pretty nervous if she's mia... i say she because i believe that clowns are female unless mated...
I have been told the same thing. A lone clown will automatically assume the dominant role. It wouldn't be a good idea to try to pair off two clowns that have been by themselves for over a year or more.

And I hope your clown fish pulls through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store