Twitching Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I haven't seen him for 24 hours. Should I look for him? I know the region of the tank he it hinding in, but I don't want to stress him out any futher.
Oh, clownfish remain male until they can find a mate, then they turn female.
I have been told the same thing. A lone clown will automatically assume the dominant role. It wouldn't be a good idea to try to pair off two clowns that have been by themselves for over a year or more.

And I hope your clown fish pulls through.
Just an observation here on the clowns...

They will always stay male untill they have paired up where the larger will turn female and become dominant. It does not matter how long they have been a lone clown, they will still stay male untill paired with a larger clown..

Niko

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Just an observation here on the clowns...

They will always stay male untill they have paired up where the larger will turn female and become dominant. It does not matter how long they have been a lone clown, they will still stay male untill paired with a larger clown..

Niko
Hmm... this is what I read on RC in a sticky section. Is it wrong information?

"Q: So what is required for a clownfish to change sex?

A: For a clownfish to change sex two requirements must be met. First the fish must be physically mature (12-24 months old) and must have an environmental cue to transform. The cue to become a female is the lack of a female in the environment. The cue to become male is that a dominate female is present in the environment, but the environment is lacking a male. The cue to remain sexless is that the environment has an existing dominate female and male pair.

Examples of clownfishes sex change.

Two clownfish kept together:
If two sexually immature clownfish are kept together they will go through the sex change dance too. The most dominate clownfish will become the female and the other the male.

A Single clownfish kept by it’s self:
If a single clownfish is kept by it’s self it will become a female clownfish.

"

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
so zhonk did you find your clown???

hope all is well

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I know where I could find him. I'm afraid to stress him. He hasn't come out yet. Though, a fish hiding in his area went n=int o the poen for the first time in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store