ugh...ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lenny491

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Kyiv, Ukraine
UV light can help to reduce the number of free swimming parasites but will not kill them completely. UV light doesn't kill selectively, it also kills other micro organisms that feed on cryptocarion parasites. So the use of UV light is questionable...

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
So I guess the best course of action is to hope as many fish as possible survive this time around, and try and keep the tank as pristine and stress free as possible in the future?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Unfortunately IMO that is probably the best course of action as long as the fish are still behaving normally (besides scratching now and then) and also have a healthy appetite. If you start to see a fish not acting right or getting picked on all of the sudden by the other fish, that is a good indicator to take that fish out, try and QT if possible, but most likely that one would be on its way out.

Again, for me, soak food in garlic, use 20-25% strength dosage of Pimafix/melafix combo, and observe closely. That is what I do on my tank when I suspect Ich/whitespot on my fish. You decide what is best for you though.

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for the advice ace...I went out and bought garlic extreme, sure is a lot of money for a little bottle...is that a good product?

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Well, I'm down to the 2 clowns and the foxface. Since my current plan isn't working, I'm going to QT the fish and leave the tank fishless until the white spot is eradicated...I have a few questions though...

1. I have an urchin, condylactus anemone and a couple starfish....they can all be left in hte tank, correct?

2. How long should I leave the tank empty?

3. If the fish are gone and the ammonia load goes way down, isn't my live rock going to get quite a bit of a die off of the cycling bacteria? Causing a mini cycle when I put the fish back in?

Thanks for the help!

lenny491

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Kyiv, Ukraine
Well, I'm down to the 2 clowns and the foxface. Since my current plan isn't working, I'm going to QT the fish and leave the tank fishless until the white spot is eradicated...I have a few questions though...

1. I have an urchin, condylactus anemone and a couple starfish....they can all be left in hte tank, correct?

2. How long should I leave the tank empty?

3. If the fish are gone and the ammonia load goes way down, isn't my live rock going to get quite a bit of a die off of the cycling bacteria? Causing a mini cycle when I put the fish back in?

Thanks for the help!
1 Yes, you can leave them in the tank. Cryptocarion parasite needs a fish host to feed on and survive.
2 For at least a month.
3 Nothing will happen to LR.

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Many months back I had an outbreak of Maine white spot. I used a product called "Ich-Attack" by kordon-aquahervbals. It is 100% organic and it takes a little longer then copper but It cured the outbreak and did not affect any of my invertabrates. Feather dusters and some local Zoas, hermits,snails and the cocopods, amp and other small creatures.-use the large bottle and use it all up.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Garlic will not help your marine fish. There digestive systems are not designed to process terrestrial plant lipids as it is not part of their natural diet.
The inability to process these plant lipids causes heart and liver lesions in the fish.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
You have been saying that "Garlic line" as long as I have been posting on here Cav, and the ONLY evidence you have to prove your statement is related to some Atlantic Salmon or something like that.

I stand by my statement 100% that Garlic does help fish and I have never seen any negative reaction to it. I have spoken to Steve Tyree, Randy Reed (of Reed Mariculture, makers of Articpods, Rotifeast, etc), and Anthony Calfo in person on this very subject, all 3 I highly respect in this hobby, and all of them said it is most definately beneficial to the immune system on the fish we keep in this hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store