Ulcers and lazyness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
open wound needs salt

If the fish has an open wound you want to add salt to the tank, it helps them maintain the osmotic balance. I think that is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Table salt is OK but pickling salt from the grocery store is better, no additives, located near the glass Ball jars for canning. Be sure to mix the salt in water before you pour it in, fine salt is not good to get into gills.

As for the stand, I really can't tell. The thing is, you are looking at about 300 pounds of weight. Would you and a friend both sit on that stand with no concerns? How is the weight directed to the floor? Often furniture is built with the legs just attached to the sides of the box that is the drawer or chest, so that really it is a few nails that is supporting the 300 lbs. A fish tank stand is typically built with a pictureframe-like square on the floor and another on the top, with legs between. So the whole tank is supported all around the rim, and all that weight is evenly passed down the legs to the bottom frame which rests flat on the floor to distribute that load evenly. And you need to know the material, for pressboard will flake when wet and just crumble away.

Is this in a dorm? Dorms often will have limits on tank sizes. If this is an apartment, you may want to find out about renters insurance. If the stand fails and 29 gallons of water hits the floor, it may ruin your place and the one below. You could be liable for the damages to the person below.

Personally, I'd sooner make a stand out of cinderblocks and wood than trust a dresser or regular bit of furniture, unless it was specifically strengthened to handle the weight with no sagging or twisting. If it sags, the tank can shatter, suddenly or slowly, as tiny cracks develop in the glass and/or seals.

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Good points, thanks again, I think I'll look into building a tank stand. It's made of solid oak and it's a really old antiuque dresser, but it still makes me feel a little uneasy, especially since it isn't completely level. Well the floor isn't completely level either.

I changed the water 3 times yesterday and I'm going to change it 2 more times today. I was planning on putting the fish in the new tank tonight or tomarrow morning. Do you think this would be good or should wait for the fishs' sore to heal? I did put some aquarium salt in yesterday, but I maybe should put more in today with the water changes. You're right about the 1 tbsp per gallon, but for goldfish (bowls) it says you can use a half tsp per gallon. That seems like a lot.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help. My fish thank you.

anonapersona

Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Clean fresh water is the best medicine for any fish. Keep up the water changes and the salt, but only add enough salt for the new water added, don't add salt for the salted water or it will build up too high and fins will shred.

One tablespoon is 3 teaspoons so one tablespoon per 5 gallons is a bit more than 1/2 teaspoon per gallon which is one tablespoon per 6 gallons. Close enough for what we are doing!

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
White stuff hanging from sore

Thank you.

OK, I may have another problem: my comets' sore looks somewhat better, but I just noticed a peice of white cottony stuff fall off of the sore. It looked like a couple of strands of hair intertwined, about a forth of an inch long. It looks like there's still some on the sore or coming out of the sore. Please help I have no idea what's going on.

I transfered the fish and, for the most part, they seem to be doing good. Just before I moved them I checked the water in both tanks and they were the same except the nitrates were 5 in the new tank and about 15 in the old tank. I never realized how much frequent water changes could improve the level of nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites 0! PH is tricky because I think it's around 8, I used the high ranges test. Is that ok? I think they are supposed to have water around 7.6?

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I think its gonna be hard to diagnose what "disease" the white stuff might be - if it is infact a disease - especially without pictures. You could try this page: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html
And see if anything looks similar.

I am fairly sure your pH wont do any harm especially now that they've been in it so long already and adjusted to it. The only time it creates a problem is if the fish are exposed to a fast and large pH swing (like being brought home from the fish store - thats why you need to acclimate them) or to really extreme pHs (like very low ... in the sub 6 range that can happen if you have a pH crash).

Check out the page... and keep the water clean - best thing you can do.

CLee115823

dogman_or
Dec 27, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Anchor Worms

Eve
Look into information about anchor worms. I have no idea how I got them in my aquarium, but my fish also developed red sores and had fine 2 tailed threads.

I collected some and definitely identified it as anchor worm. I have some experience with parasitology (at least identification)

My local aquarium store provided some treatment, which was rigorous and killed 2 of my best fish and permenantly bleached color out of the others. Only the female stage attaches to fish and her 2 ovaries trail (thus the tails). The males are otherwise invisible in the tank. It is a copepod and not a true worm.

Good Luck
Craig

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thank you very much for all of the information.

I hope anchor worms aren't the problem, but if so, Craig do you happen to know if they can be white? Thanks.

Eve

CLee115823

dogman_or
Dec 27, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Anchor worms

Eve
Yes they are a very fine white thread, about 1/4 inch long. I first noticed them when my fish started showing red ulcer like sores. I pulled them out using tweezers and looked at them under magnification to be sure.

Some recommendations I found on the web suggested pulling them off the fish was a good remedy, but the life cycle information does not support this and if the worm is large it can injure the fish by pulling flesh tissue away with the worm.

I did not have a quarantine tank and I'm sure it was introduced when I added a beautiful black ranchu I bought from a reputable dealer. I will never add another fish without a few weeks of quarantine first.

Good luck!!
Craig

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thank you so much for your help, but there doesn't seem to be a fork in the tail. It was wierd, because my comet had some white stuff coing out of its ulcer, but it was like globs or some thing or stringy stuff. I don't know for sure: it's hard to explain. I just noticed my fantail has a small white string hanging from his chin (I guess). It's only like 1 or 2 mm long, thread like.

anonapersona

Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
fungus?

Could be fungus.

Could be columnaris.

Search around to see if either of these look like a possibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store