Ulcers and lazyness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
orange algea

I'm going to check the params in my tank because things don't seem to be getting better. The wound on my comet is getting better, it looks pinkish and I can still see some white stuff, but not too much. Don't really know if it's ozzing. However, my comet now has the beginning of a skin lesion in the spot she had the first one, and it looks pinkish like the one that is now healing.

For the past two days I've been treating with melafix and an mild antiparasite med. I did a 20 percent water change two days ago and exchanged the whisper power filter with the aquaclear, so I could medicate the tank. Going to do another water change maybe more. Also there is some type of orange stuff beginning to grow in the tank. I had the same problem when I first set my fish up in the 10 gal tank. This orange algea type slimmy stuff coated everything and it looks like the same thing is happening again.

Thank you so much everyone. I haven't completely ruled out anchor worm, but don't really think that's the problem. I am definitaly going to check into fungus and columnaris. I've had my suspisions about fungus with the white stuff.

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Sounds like "brown algea" (can look quite orange) - diatoms. You can do a search in this forum or the web in general if you need more information. Its harmless and will disappear after a while. Generally happens in new tanks. I had one strong diatom growth a few weeks into the cycle - and another 3 months after it was established.
It disappeared after a short time.

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks, that's a relief. My fish seem to be doing good. Still the two pinkish colored sores, but the one looks better and the other one hasn't really gotten any worse :) Ammonia and nitrite are 0, PH is 8, and the nitrates are at 5 ppm!

GoldfishCrazy11

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2006
Sounds like the story of my 29 gallon goldfish ;).

A pH of 8.0 is really too high for goldfish. This could be causing the problems. It should really be 7.0-7.2.

Also, common/shubunkin/comet goldfish should have 25-35 gallons each.

Okay, don't ask about my situation- it's a long story that involves parents who won't listen.

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Still need to medicate?

My fish are doing great in their 29 gal. tank! They are very happy and their water conditions are excellent! My comets' ulcers are just about cleared up. Only one is in the final stages of healing...should I still be treating the tank until all everything is completely healed? I haven't been putting any medicine in the tank for about three days.

I switched from the Aqua clear filter back to the Whisper yesterday. I've thought about using both filters, but I'm not sure I want to cut out the giant section of the aquarium cover that would be required. How important would this be to use both...any suggestions? Also is it ok to save filter cartridges that have already been used (but not to the full extent they can be) and reuse them when the filter is operated again? Of course they would be laid out to dry before storage. If so, how would you store them...put them in a plastic bag, maybe?

GoldfishCrazy11 mentioned that I should lower the ph, how would I go about doing that? Back a little over a year ago, when I first got my goldfish I went a little overboard and bought a whole bunch of stuff one of which was a ph 7.6 lowering powder. I think I used it once. Do you think my fish are already used to the ph they live in and have lived in for so long? Also would it shock them to change it so much?

Thank you!

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Great to hear they are doing better - too often you read sad stories about fish on here so to hear some positive ones is refreshing.

If the fish seem ok (not stressed or acting weird) then from what i read its usually a good idea to continue treatment with meds untill everything is cleared up BUT seeing you didnt dose anything for 3 days it might be best to just let it go and have a close watch every day to make sure its not getting worse again.

I'd still use both filters. I dont know what top you have on the aquarium but for most you can buy a plastic replacement strip in the back and they are cheap.

What size is the filter you are using now ? Either way it might be ok for now but when the fish get much bigger (which they will) it might be necessary to add the extra filter or upgrade the existing one (if you want just one on the tank instead of 2) to keep up with the waste production.

I defenitely wouldnt mess with the pH - at least not with chemicals. FOr example the ph DOWN product often suggested is actually ACID. So you'd be adding acid to the water to bring the pH down (actually called making the water more acidic - the lower the pH the more acidic it is).
The problem with the chemicals is that your pH would never be stable and always bounce up and down and really stress the fish.

Most people on here will tell you to
a) leave it alone - a pH of 8 isnt extreme and something your fish are adjusted to now.
b) use more permanent and more natural ways to lower pH - like a piece of driftwood or peat. But those are things i'd read up about first because using these methods will bring other side effects with it (i.e. driftwood leaching tannins = yellowish tint to water like in the amazon river). a simple forum or internet search will give you plenty of reading material

Again - glad to hear they are doing better. Maybe show us some pics of them when they are fully recovered.

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Pinkish red streaks?

I forgot to mention both of my fish still have pinkish red streaks on their tails, but the streaks have never been that noticeable...pretty light colored. How long does it take for these to completely go away? I was told that the streaks were likely caused by nitrates, but that has been fixed now for at least three weeks.

HP, both of the filters I have been using are for 30 gal. tanks.

Thanks again.

Eve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store