Unknown Tunnel Maker

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
i would listen for a clicking noise that will narrow it down and since your skunk shrimp is still alive i would think it isnt a mantis unless it is a spearer

and if you do hear a clicking if it is random it is most likely a mantis whereas pistols have a series of clicks they do

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I think you got that backwards.. mantis make the clicking sound, pistols make the random "snap". I had a pistol that lived for over 4 years.. it would "snap" about once an hour or so and never snapped more than once at a time unless the cleaner shrimp got to close. For all the years I had both in the same 29G tank (cleaner 5+ years/Pistol 4+ years) the pistol never harmed the cleaner which I found odd, it definately would snap at it, just never hurt/stunned it.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
oohh i must have my information mixed up i thought i had read somewhere that pistols made a clicking(or snapping pretty similar) noise more than once in a row somewhat rhythmically whereas mantis clicks are more random

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
My pistol very seldomley makes any noise...I do see alot of empty snail shells around his area and the sand is piled high, also one of my cleaners came up missing last week without a sign..was in there for a year :( my other shrimp looks bored haha
they love to tunnel under rocks so at night with a flashlight you will be able to see him..if it is a pistol and not a mantis...mantis like holes in the rock

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Have you noticed that your hermit crab population is slowly shrinking? That could be another sign... pistols and mantis love to feast on hermit crabs. I had a pistol in my tank for over a year, I fed him for a while, then got tired of cleaning up his mess (colapsed rocks), and he was feasting on my cleanup crew. I finally wanted to reorganize my tank and I pulled the rocks out and grabbed him.

If it is a pistol they are tricky to catch, the traps don't work that well on them because they are practically blind. As I said, I wound up having to remove most of my rock.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Damsels can dig holes.. seen that many times with the blue damsel. I would guess that is your culprit.
Yep. I've got one doing that in my tank (have caught it in the act fanning its tail and creating fist-sized pit between one of my stony corals and live rock.

I've got a maroon clown in another tank which has escavated the sand down to the glass (creating a 5" deep mound of sand in one of the tank corners).

You've got a lot of culprits in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store